+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY LED kits

DIY LED kits

Hi there. This is my first post and im in the process of putting together my third tank, but with my first algae scrubber.
    I was looking into using CFL's and reflectors, but a lot of research into LED's later, it seems a custom diy led panel is the way to go.
    I will need two 12" x 12" panels from what i have worked out with around 30watts of led power each side. (i have read up from here on the equivalents). I would like to go for mainly 660nm reds and maybe a few royal blue ones. I was hoping to go for a pre-built one, but they are either too much or two little in the way of power. Try as i may, and with countless google searches, i can find very little in the way of places that sell diy led grow light kits.
    I am in the U.K. so i would prefer to buy from someone here, but will buy from somewhere else if that's my only choice. Id rather buy a DIY kit, as im not too sure on buying individual parts from scratch.
    Can anybody point me in the right direction.
    Many thanks.
    Ben

Administrator
    How much are you feeding?

Hi Ben.

I am in the UK as well and in the same position as you. However, I have bought my drivers and heatsink from the US (drivers ordered Friday and arrived today) and my LED's from China. The acrylic for the scrubber I have bought from UK.

Dennis

Well not feeding anything yet, as it's a new build taking from my experience of the others. I plan it to be a moderate stocked fish rock and soft/hard coral system.

Dennis c, I have found the heat sink and the red LEDs, is it a case of attaching LEDs to back of heat sink and wiring them up with a driver essentially or do I need a pcb?
    Do you have any links to those sites u were talking about. Many thanks
    Ben

Banned
    heatsinkusa.com and satisled.com are what I am currently using, and rapidLED for drivers (also more expensive LEDs)

the question about the feeding was getting at how big your screen should be. 12x12 is HUGE anymore. 12 sq in of screen per cube per day, generally lit by 2 or 3 3W 660nm reds on each side. I'm going to be building 2 cube/day scrubbers with 6 3W 660s per side for reference

I think maybe 10"x 10" is better, only the only premade fixtures I could find we're 12 by 12 and didn't know how to go about making one. I was told lit both sides a square inch to every gallon so this gives a little bit extra. I don't wanna limit myself by making things to small at this stage though as experience has taught me.

Banned
    That is the old screen sizing guideline, don't use it. Now it's 12 sq in for each cube of food per day. Bigger is not better, unless you're feeding a ton. Making it too small is of course what you don't want to do, but making it way too big is not good in this case. Premade LED fixtures that are 12x12 I'm guessing are the ones that I have seen posted on here several times before that are an array of very low wattage LEDs that are inadequate for scrubbers, don't use them. you're better off starting with a 2 cube/day scrubber with 6 reds and 1 blue on each side on heat sinks. DIYing those is not as hard as you think.

Well, im trying to look into making the led fixture at the moment. So far the only place i can find heatsinks is the US, and it costs more in P + p than the heat sink does. Might have to bite the bullet though. Its a vicious circle as i just got in a custom made tank which i had plans for the algae screen to be part of the sump. I cant put the pipework in until ive made the scrubber/sump. i cant make the sump until im sure what size lights i can get for the screen. And yes, the 12" x 12" ones were either 14w or 45, and neither of them looked much cop. After reading up on here and the ratio's of red to blue light, i have been further educated and think im better off making my own led unit. Still, got a lovely empty tank sitting there, lol.

For a small scrubber, say 6"x8", you should be able to use computer CPU heatsinks, or even just aluminum tubing or a flat aluminum plate, which you should be able to get over there. You'll only be using 10-15 watts so heat won't be too bad.

Here's a UK place with lots of heatsinks:
    http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/semico...ks/heat-sinks/

I have 5 LED's on an AMD heat sink and its fine.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information