+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 5 Weeks, Just a Hint of Green, Suggestions?

5 Weeks, Just a Hint of Green, Suggestions?

After 3 weeks of having a screen sized used the old guidlines (to big) and 18 hrs of 23 W CFL's with no results (green algae), I cut the screen to the new recommended size and cut the lights back to 9 hrs (high watt method.) After 1 week and no significant change, I increased the light hrs to 13. 1 week later again the attached pics are my result. My sump used to be spotless which is now growing hair algae and coraline. The big concern is a nutient spike and who knows what would follow that as I've never fed my tank on a daily basis as I am now. I don't have a hair algae problem but do have a bubble algae problem I can't seem to eradicate, and that is the reason I'm trying a scrubber. I do still have my skimmer and reactor running minimal carbon (1/2) cup 24/7 online. Looking for suggestions here, having been 5 weeks I'm getting a little nervous.... BTW 57 gal tank with 10 gal sump. Thanks for any help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9873.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1850Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9876.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1851Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9880.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1852

How big is the screen and how much are you feeding? Also I think if you can take pics of the lights as well that would help. It looks like your lights are above the scrubber and pointing down at it, which isnt really ideal. Lastly, hows the flow and did you rough up the screen?

Screens 5x5 and roughed up good. Was going to go smaller but Floyd suggested the smallest should be 5x5 so that's how I decided on the size. Flow is direct from the tank overflow with a flow valve and, excess overflow pipe to avoid a flood (what the scrubber can't take.) From the tank direct I measured right around 300 gph. I'm pushing to the scrubber all it can seem to handle. If I turn the flow up to the scrubber any more, all the water flies to the other end of the screen pipe and squirts out crazy all on one side. Lighs are centered (trouble lights with foil reflector) and are 4" off screens. Feeding is estimated at 1-2 cube/day. Marine pellets fed twice/day, all two damels can eat in 2 min, 5-7 m/l of reef plus mixed w/Coral Frenzy and target fed to corals once/day.

Administrator
    18 hours.
    2 inches away.
    New bulbs if needed.

Just to be clear, I have (2) 23 W CFL's, one on each side of the screen. Still go to 18 hrs and 2"? Thanks for your help on this!

Administrator
    Yep, more light, closer, with better reflectors, until you get a yellow rubber growth, then go less.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information