+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Power goes out

Power goes out

What happen if your power goes out and the algae dries up?

Banned
    Well, if your home, you can put the screen in the sump or tank to keep it wet.. if your not around and the screen dries up, you have to scrub it clean.. very clean.. and just start over growing algae from scratch. A big UPS and a generator solve power issues for me.

Shouldn't dry out so fast. And since no power. No lights to cook it. Great thing is when power does kick on, it won't overflow the skimmer you don't have pumping all that crud into tank toxifying(?) your set up.

Yet another use for plastic wrap on algae screens? If they have a layer of plastic wrap over them they will not dry out as fast...

To be honest though I cant see it really being an issue. Hair algae naturally grows intertidally so it exposed daily to air and sun for 8-12 hours or more without issues. Recently my girlfriend cleaned out our bathtub drain of hair and found a bunch of GHA that still seemed very much alive, or at least firm and green still. It had been over 7 days since I had cleaned the scrubber and all it had in that time was soapy fresh water once a day...

Long story short, if your tank is without power or circulation for the amount of time it takes to kill GHA, you have MUCH bigger issues to worry about....

my scrubbers pump stopped working for about a week , when I replaced the pump and did not bother to clean the screen it made a real mess,toxic soup! so make sure the algae is alive and well before power-up

Administrator
    Yes always clean the screen after a pump outage.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information