+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 180 ats

180 ats

Just wanted to come show my build. I been using algae scrubbers for about 8 months now on m
    y 40 reef with tied in 150 fowler. Well I have since combined all into my 180 oceanic I just bought used. So of course I had to do ats since I've never been a fan of skimmers to me cost/effectiveness ratio is way to much as opposed to ats. I used to have an aquac-ev120. Anyway I've been reading the site to keep up with any new changes every month or so finally decided to post here. Thx Santamonica for starting the site and helping get the info out there. It has saved me many headaches I've only ha to read about on local club forums and see people in my local reef club experience since I ran across your site when I first started in saltwater tanks. I've tried to spread the word and show people ats is the better option. Some listen most don't but hey most I guess people don't wanna hear that my waters healthier for $50 than yours for $500+ . Which is what a scubber does its makes healthy water for corals. To me clean water doesn't mean healthy water for corals and such. Seen plenty of people with clean water and dying corals.

Ok yes I know part is dark I'm working on adding the extra 2' of leds old tank was a 4' this is a 6'. The build is still a work in progress but here's some pics atm FTS.

Ats 2 7x7 screens light by 2x 26w cfl one screen is new one is old

Rock work

Administrator
    Nice. I bet the chromis love all the particles in the water.

I've never lost a chromis and had them for like 3 months they don't fight and school together nicely. I have been telling people I attribute to my semi heavy feedings. I cut back a little since my sailfin tang seemed to be getting a little to fat haha.
    I feed about 2 cubes/day and plan to turn the lights off the second screen once its grown out some. Just wanted to add it incase its needed and rdy to go. I figure residual light from the other screen screen should keep the algae alive but not let it grow heavy since my chaeto grows mad this same way. Any advice comments. And such are always welcomed

Administrator
    Once you get your scrubber growing strong, the chaeto will probably go away.

Its been a while since i been on here and done a lot of things to my tank since. currently battling AEFW so my acros are all on a frag rack and dont look so hot but other than that all else is doing great. back when i started the tank i was running 1 8x8 screen and it just want enough i had to use gfo to get rid of the po4. i also decided to test for myself how well a skimmer and ecobak biopellets would work with my scrubber and also just to see if i like that method of filtration. first i added a skimmer Reef Octopus NWB200 old style got used $100 works great. after a couple months it didnt really do anything by itself so i started running WM Ecobak in a brs moded reactor 500ml rated for 100g didnt wanna go full strength cause its expensive and i was just trying to keep from having to use GFO and the pellets produce a food source for corals which also interested me in wanting to try them. after a few weeks PE on my SPS started getting really nice but the po4 wasnt really going down much but it did some. then i added a second 8x8 screen and since then been running between 0.00-0.03 po4 using hanna checker.

t5+led

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information