+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: howdy from the uk - day one

I left mine for 3 weeks before my first clean, just 1 side.

Dennis

Banned
    I have been looking around for a cheap reliable method for cutting a good slot in the feed pipe. I was at my d.i.y warehouse contemplating buying a dremel high speed cutting tool when I found this dremel attachment;
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0883.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	2030
    thought I would give it a try at only 2.
    Ran it in my drill at high speed and formed a perfect slot. The grinding wheel is 3.5mm in width. The increase in turbulance on the screen is very noticable.

Did you cut or just widened with this tool ?

Banned
    I was wondering the same thing, I have a bunch of those grinding wheels but I didn't think they would be able to cut a slot, just widen them. The hardest part I found was getting the slot wide enough for the grinding wheel to fit in without going to wide where you have a spot that squirts water out of. Also I have found the grinding wheels tend to "gum up" with melted PVC very quickly. For me, using a table saw, even a cheap $40 "mini" table saw (which is actually cheaper than what I paid for my dremel and bits) from Harbor Freight worked better for me. I tried the grinding wheel, cut off disc, milling bit, and any other dremel bit I could find just never worked as well as I hoped, but then again, I never made a jig for it which makes all the difference when trying to get a straight clean line/slot.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kotlec View Post
    Did you cut or just widened with this tool ?
    Cut the slot with it. Run the drill at top speed and lowered onto first end firmly. Once through stopped the drill and got the wife to prop the drill in the correct position. Then told her to hang on for all she was worth. She ran the drill at full speed again while I slowly fed the pipe into the disc for the full length of the slot. Like an upside down table saw. Works a treat.

Ace25 - I also thought it would start to melt the plastic but it didn't.

Banned
    Update on scrubber screen progress after 2 weeks, just before my second clean;

Name:	IMG_0996.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	2065 and a bit closerClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0995.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	2066

i'm quite pleased that the screen is thickening up a bit.

Thought i would show you my 2 slot while it was all disassembled;

Name:	IMG_0997.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	2067
    Last edited by Garf; 04-19-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Banned
    Update on scrubber screen progress after 3 weeks, just before my 3rd clean;

Name:	IMG_1075.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	2150 and a bit closer Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1074.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	2151

The screen is still very dark, an olive drab colour. However the amount of scrapings i got off the screen has doubled in a week, now about half a cup full. After cleaning there is a bright green algae hiding in all the holes, i hope this spreads in the next few weeks.

Its well on its way.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Sounds pretty much identical to mine, and the growth looks the same as well. Good times!

Banned
    Cleared my screen again today a couple of days early to allow my air injection experiment to prove or disprove itself. When i got up this morning i saw this floating mat of growing algae in my sump.

Name:	IMG_1099.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	2212

Have never seen this before so it must have come off my screen then been formed into a mat by the small bubbles created by air injection into the pump (skimmer like). I wonder if this is normal for a new screen but largely goes unnoticed. The screen didn't look patchy but its obviously come from somewhere. The mat was about 4 inches by 2 inches by 1 inch thick. When removing the screen for cleaning i found there was another one identical on the other side of the sump. However when i removed the algae i found it shrank into the size of a small marble. The algae obviously looks a lot larger floating around in the water than it actually is. Just to be on the safe side, i have put a bit more "roughage" on the screen.

Polyp extension on my monti digi this morning was enormous. I'm really pleased i started this scrubber stuff.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information