+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: RO/DI system question

Banned
    Good to know it doesn't seem to be a wide spread problem. I am wondering how much my location is playing into that. My work location where I experience the issue and my home are in the same town, and has A LOT of farm pestiside/fertilzer run off, so much you can actually taste it in the water, then certain times of the year the water coming out of the faucet smells like a swimming pool because so much chloramines are dumped into the water. I made the mistake of trying to make water during one of those weeks and I ruined every single filter and membrane on my RO/DI setup, and I just bought all new filters 2 weeks prior. Good to know it seems like a localized problem, but having seen it happen to multiple people in the town using many different types of RO/DI filters, I don't think it is just me. Next time I visit that work site I will take a video showing it because it really is so high it is almost unbelivable until you see it with your own eyes. Seriously, brand new 4' DI canister, used for 10 gallons then sit for 24 hours, come back the next day it is always 1300-1500 TDS for up to 5 minutes running the faucet on full. Then it drops down quickly to the point it goes from 1300 down to 0 between minute 5 and 6, which seems to be how long it takes to flush a 4' DI canister. Can anyone else come up with an explanation to what I see? DI canister, no other filter, tap water is 500+, run water through DI until it hits 0, then let the water sit for 24 hours and come back and turn it on and the TDS coming out is almost 3x higher than tap. I can't think of any other reason other than the DI is causing it because there is no other filter in place at my work.

Did you take off the DI canister and dump the water into a testing container? Not that the method you did would negate the test, if you had the extreme issue I seem to have you would have had TDS in the hundreds for around 30 seconds with the filter running, but when you test the stagnent water in the DI canister it seems to be quite a bit higher.

Banned
    no, I just let the effluent from the RO push through the DI chamber. I would expect if there was any stagnant water pushing through the DI chamber that would have a spike in TDS, if would have been within the first about 2 cups of water. My resin is about 3/4 used in the chamber, so the beads are brown and separated as the bottom, and blue at the top. This is the "Nuclear color changing resin" from BRS.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread Information