+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lets guess the new design

lets guess the new design

Ive been thinking about several different designs on and off ever since SM stated that he had improved his slot in pipe waterfall method.
    I think we have all just accepted this to be the easiest/efficient method of cultivating algae....

The latest one I have been contemplating has come from my experiences with my ats. As with most people running ats filtration, 3d growth is usually an indicator that we are getting the most n and p export from our systems..This growth for me is at its most prolific in the pooling bottom area of my ats... So i thought, what if i just had the bottom bit? Then I thought, this would then just be a horizontal scrubber which has been tried and proved to be not as efficient. But, the one differnce I think is that the flow at the bottom of my ats is much greater than a traditional horizontal type screen.....
    So I have come up with a design, please feel freee to squash its potential....lol

It is an acylic trough, similiar to the bottom of my sm100 clone. Probably around 3 inches wide and maybe 4 high and around 24 inches long. input through one end, drain at the other. Now, I have been thinking of different ways to maximise the surface area for the algae to grow on......
    So I came up with a circular or rolled screen (like a scroll). It would have a diameter of about 3 inches and just sit in the trough.. The lighting would just stretch along each side as does with the sm100 type but obvioulsy in some led form....

You could also really get the flow right up on this.....
    You would just adjust the water levell so the top curve of the screen is just at the water surface to get the algae growth we want. It would then 3d all over the screen. .........
    Obvioulsy I am probably not going waste money trying it until SM releases his magic.....

What do you guys reckon???? Fab or FLOp.. ha

anyone else wanna have a stab,..,.,.,..

I dont want to guess , but my ATS was slot-less from day one and that is best part. And also it lacks pipe as well. But thats old . Lets wait for new .
    Last edited by kotlec; 04-09-2012 at 12:07 AM.

Its going to be alien technology I just now it. What ever it is it will be as pioneering as everything else he has brought to the table, then as usual there will be new twists to improve on that to which is always exciting as well!!
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

hmmm.... what about a UV sterilizer style scrubber. Bulb in the middle, with a removable spiral screen raceway, around the bulb, for algae to grow on.....

Administrator
    UV bulbs won't grow algae.

I also like the spiral design... similiar to how a skimmer works. spiral flow with a central wier/return....but with lights and canvas and not just.... bubbles... ha

Banned
    This is fun... Lol..

Sm he sd the spiral design like a uv... With red light inside.. huh.. cool

Its gonna be an antigravity box were algae floats on all directions getting hit with gamma rays along with laser lights.. the lights are going to be magnetic and uit will come with a light saber to harvest the algae. Lol

LMAO.... the star wars disco algae box....

I think it's going to be under water with lots of flow somehow.

underwater with air bubbles is my guess.. bubbles have the flow, even spread over screen, algae will have air from bubbles. water possible moving in an upwards direction. still flat so light can penitrate. ???

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information