+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Carbon and PO'ed corals

Carbon and PO'ed corals

I did a small water change today(I am new to this and still have high nutrients), when I changed I noticed my water was pretty yellow. I added some carbon in a filter sock, which I have done before. Some corals seem to have closed up and are not pleased with the situation.

Is it more likely it is the carbon itself or clearer water allowing more light penetration?

The reason I am here is wondering if it can have anything to do with an ATS along with carbon?

Administrator
    Corals usually close during disturbances/waterchanges.

Yellowing is caused by dying algae on the screen, from thick dark growth not being cleaned.

Banned
    Obvious question, did you rinse the carbon really good before using? The carbon "fines", dust, can irritate corals and fish if it isn't rinsed well before use.

yes rinsed for sure. It was the same day as a 5% water change with a new supposedly better salt(royal nature), so it could be as much to do with that as anything. My pagoda cup seems real mad, and I have some zoas that actually seem to be detaching from their rock...but I read Floyd experienced some problems with zoas after installing an ATS too, some did well others not so much.

Everything else looks great though....just weird how changes affect everything differently. I had to want the mixed reef right!

This is the reason why I don't run carbon. Same thing happens. GFo is even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Corals usually close during disturbances/waterchanges.

Yellowing is caused by dying algae on the screen, from thick dark growth not being cleaned.
    I think my water was yellow from before the ATS was installed. This was due to algae forming on the surface of my sump and me kind of spooning it out every once in a while. real messy black oily crap. Happy to say I see a lot of this now after only 3 weeks.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information