+ Reply to Thread

Thread: confused on a few things for setup

confused on a few things for setup

Been reading for the past few hours and confusing myself.

The screen size calculation. I read 1sq inch per gallon or to base it off cube per day or basing off the actual flow rate on the pump. Which one should I use? the cube per day for me is different since this tank gets calamari, scallops, and shrimp... not cubes.

Second question is the cfl bulbs. I plan to use the dome style reflector with the 23w spiral cfl which is the actual wattage. Do I follow the 1w per gallon rule I read? That would mean I need 3 bulbs on each side? That don't seem right from all the pictures I saw....

Thank you for the help.

Calculate screen size depending on feeding requirements. When you have screen size , calculate lights and flow acordingly to it.

Calculating screen size or lights depending on gallons is outdated.

using a 23w spiral cfl on each side you would want a 6"x7" screen area lit, and would feed about 4 cubes/day even if u dont feed cubes estimate or im sure someone could break it down into weight.

I ended up building a 8*18 with 42w cfl bulbs on each side with 10.5" dome housings. The length is to have the water go into the sump and not make noise. I am curious how this will work. Today is the second day to have the lights on for it.

As for cubes I finally just guessed. My eel ate 4 chunks of squid, puffer had a few silversides and squid, lion fish ate 4 silversides. Not sure how that calculates into cubes but I guessed.

See how it works

Administrator
    1 silverside is probably 5 cubes because of the high oil content.

Haha, way undersized if that is the case!

I am going to continue with what I have to see how it all works. In the next 6 months I hope to have my 300g up and running. Then I will build a better scrubber.

Thanks for the information!

Banned
    Also per Randy Holmes-Farley's latest article, anything that has bones in it will have a higher phosphate/protein ratio so yeah 5 cubes is probably a good estimate

What if the silversides are de-boned? I do that for my triggers

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information