+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Co2 turbo

Hey garf my ph is 8.1 and my alk is still stable, which makes me wonder why did u start co2 was the skimmer pump not good enough or are you like me always experimenting? :-)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crashmushroom View Post
    Hey garf my ph is 8.1 and my alk is still stable, which makes me wonder why did u start co2 was the skimmer pump not good enough or are you like me always experimenting?
    Hi crash. - yeah, you got me sussed. I love to make improvements especially when they are cheap to do. I tried the fully blown Co2 trial as it seemed like the natural progression and hopefully optimum utilisation of the scrubber. I would love to see pics and an update on your bubble screen.

Strangly enough I have just this minute finished taking pH readings directly from the screen effluent ( still containing micro bubbles ) and it is 7.25. By the time it's gone through the sump and a bit of aeration it's back upto 8.1 before being pumped into the display. If anybody else tries this, they should keep this in mind so they don't knacker their display. My calcareous algae on the sump walls have taken a disliking to the new parameters ( just down the low pH end of the sump ).

Dont forget Crash, I want to know what's happening with yours.

Thats cool. Not much to see my growth has halted I have hit a problem i have posted it in the high po4 thread.

My post reads:

(I know people are saying different things but i have the same problem. My screen grew lime green thick every 4 days until last week when my nitrates went to 0 this week my nitrates are undetectable and my p04 is 0.2 and climbing, no change to anything. I cant say high wattage could fix it as im running floyds scrubber with overkill led power and 12 hours on it goes yellow if i go anymore. A friend of mine said feed more coral snow as it will increase nitrates alot more than phos? As a result slowly recently golden brown is starting to grow on my rocks and sand.)

Banned
    Crash - are you getting the same growth on the screen as before ? Last time we spoke, you was gonna leave the screen longer between cleanings, are you still doing that ?

I was letting the cleanings get longer growth was perfect until my nitrates bottomed out this week and my growth has now stopped now really slow.

Are you feeding up to the screen size? When I dont my screen slows down.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

I am now but i was not i always got fast green growth tho until nitrate depleted. I wonder if i dont feed 2 cubes a day is it not enough to keep the nitrates equal to phosphates. Wish i knew the answer to keeping the balance i dont want to run GFO. I use a small bag of carbon in my sump maybe that threw the balance off by absorbing doc's which would possible been made into nitrate down the line. Im just guessing here :-)

Administrator
    Don't need to keep a balance.

Banned
    What about cutting hours back on the scrubber?

Banned
    IRON CHLOROSIS

Think I may have found a reason as to why some people get yellow bubbly growth. Please consider the last part of this link with relation to high pH preventing iron uptake. Need someone with yellow bubbly growth to put bubbles or co2 on the screen to see if it is cured by lowering pH. I know this link is primarily about trees but the similarities are too numerous to ignore;

http://forestry.usu.edu/htm/city-and...hat-causes-it/

And this one directly relates to iron chlorosis being induced by high bicarbonate reactions;

http://www.eplantscience.com/botanic...ant_uptake.php

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information