+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Co2 turbo

Banned
    Floyd, after that whole thread on kalk and vinegar, and learning the top end of how much vinegar you can use, I tried going from bare minimum (5ml per 5G) all the way up to 40ml per gallon. When I used 40ml per gallon I got 0 precipitates, but I found like you, the more vinegar I used the harder it was to maintain alk. Not sure why that is, but that was my experience. I have since went back to my super low vinegar and my pH and Alk are back to stable again. Just taking a wild guess, but BRS sells 2 "recipies" of 2 part, one that raises pH, one that lowers pH, I am wondering if by adding vinegar to kalk we are turning the kalk from recipe 1 into recipe 2 somehow.

Banned
    Interesting. Good to know that I wasn't the only one experiencing lowering Alk and pH.

I have not seen any issues with the vinegar use in my three tanks. I know it falls when I get busy and top with RO/DI but, as long as I top off/dose with Kalk and vinegar its pretty stable. I write my tests down weekly and its pretty predictable. If I have dosed 2L of Kalk vinegar per day into my 40G is always about 11.5 to 12.0 Alk. I have not checked for pH because the Alk stays stable but I did about two weeks ago and it was 8.0pH.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Banned
    In the light of the new design release, I have decided to implement the air injection into the feed pump. Bubbles are very small, but if it doesn't work well I'll do a Venturi thingy after the pump motor which should increase the bubble size.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Garf View Post
    In the light of the new design release, I have decided to implement the air injection into the feed pump. Bubbles are very small, but if it doesn't work well I'll do a Venturi thingy after the pump motor which should increase the bubble size.

See my reply on the other thread, re CO2 injection.

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...ll=1#post19854

Banned
    well its been running for a few hours now and nothing has exploded yet. I know this looks very temporary, and if it works it will be re-done.

The airline going to the feed pump Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1090.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	2183

The air pump is on the minimum setting. a very small air pump could do the same thing.

An over and underwater pic showing vast amounts of micro bubbles that has passed over the screen.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1091.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	2185

I have a slow run through rate on my sump so none of the bubbles has made it to the display.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1090.jpg‎
Views:	363
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	2181   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1091.jpg‎
Views:	355
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	2182   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1092.jpg‎
Views:	363
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	2184  

Banned
    Yesterday i cleaned the screen back to the white canvas. Gave it a little more roughing up, and restarted.

This is 24hrs after Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1100.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	2231

If you look very carefully you can see the small bubbles on the screen.

This is without doubt the greenest 24 hr screen that i have had.

Banned
    Just want to point this out, look at post #83 and 84 from my build thread, posts dated 7/7/2011 ... different.. but similar to what your talking about. Also post #114 from 10/21/2011.

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...2-0-LEDs/page9

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...-0-LEDs/page12

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace25 View Post
    Just want to point this out, look at post #83 and 84 from my build thread, posts dated 7/7/2011 ... different.. but similar to what your talking about. Also post #114 from 10/21/2011.

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...2-0-LEDs/page9

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...-0-LEDs/page12
    Thanks Ace. It seems strange to me why this was not followed up. In this thread I hope to answer the question about co2 depletion effecting ALK usage, and also now it may hinder algae growth. Obviously my results may not be taken on board, but if lots of us try this and get a definitive answer, then who knows.

Administrator
    co2 depletion effecting ALK usage
    Is not really a question; the way it works is that there is not normally enough carbon (CO2) in the water if the scrubber is growing quickly, so the algae start pulling carbon from the HCO3 (bicarbonate).

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information