+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 150G build/SW conversion

150G build/SW conversion

Well the 150G is just waiting for the 75 pounds of dry base rock to come from http://www.LiveRockRanch.com, $162.50 to my door.
    The stand is not done yet as far as the doors go but, its good enough to get the tank going. The bottom of the tank is 39" tall so you look right in to the middle of the tank.

And a side note, my newest Trumpet Coral in the 40G.

Now I got to get a scrubber built for this!!!
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

I do not know how liverockranch is, but both www.marcorocks.com ($109 shipped for 50lbs) and www.reefcleaners.org ($105 shipped for 50lbs) have GREAT dry rock. You will have to let us know how yours comes out.

I am eventually going to get another 50-100lbs of rock for my setup from some place online. I go to a marine biology university and there is not a single decent saltwater place anywhere within hours of here. The cheapest "live" rock around here is around $10/lb and its total garbage. It looks like someone got quarry chunks and tossed them in saltwater the day before. Even worse is the "premium live" rock they sell here, its covered in some purple epoxy shit that actually clogs all the pores, drastically decreasing surface area, just so it looks like it has coraline algae on it. I think I could make a killing just selling decent seed rock here.

Banned
    I would like to see how the rock looks as well when you get it, so please take some pictures of the rocks before you put them in your tank if you could. I have never heard of the place you ordered from either but like to see what everyone offers. I always hear marcorocks.com is the best for dry rock and tbsaltwater.com is the best for live rock (as long as your willing to take the risk of getting some bad hitchhikers).

I remember reading terrible things about liverockranch, both his customer service and his live rock quality. I have not read much about his dry rock though.

If you want a good deal on dry rock, check out some reviews for http://reefrocks.net/, I have never ordered anything from them, but after reading some reviews I plan to try them the next time I buy rock. $85 for 50 lbs shipped.

I will get some pics. The guy I called to ask about the free shipping deal was very nice and even told me to put notes in the comment section for my tank size and if I wanted some special size rock or rocks and they do their best to match wants on any order they get.
    I didnt get all the rock I needed, as to say I didnt want to put all my eggs in one basket just yet.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    75G. 20+ Africans
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.

Here is some pics of the first inhabitants of the 150G build, three common damsel fish. We have the dry rock in the tanks and some live rock as well. There is about 93 pounds of rock so far.
    We have also got the algae scrubber built as well so we hope this will intercept the cycle nutrient spike like it did on my 40G build.

Here you go ACE!! I forgot to post on this site!!

Sprayed off with the hose.

In the tank.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    75G. 20+ Africans
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.

That stuff doesnt look terrible but if you need any more try giving marcosrocks a try, it is WAY better looking than the pictures you showed there.

I THINK reefcleaners.org and reefrocks.net has the same rocks, but not 100% sure.

I guess its not to bad, it was only $2.00 delivered and I was looking for cheap base rock. The rock with the Damsel fish pic is stuff from my LFS that they got in and cured for me. Its got green and purple/pink corolline growing pretty well on it.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    75G. 20+ Africans
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.

well you paid $108.33 per 50lbs shipped.
    Marcosrocks.com - $109 for 50 lbs shipped (great quality I got 50lbs from them and its amazing)
    Reefcleaners.org - $105 for 50 lbs shipped (looks like marcosrocks from their pics, their customer service is amazing, and great reviews on rock)
    reefrocks.net - $85 for 50 lbs shipped (Great reviews, although couldnt find that many)

Like I said before I want to try reefrocks, although I have bought several other things from reefcleaners, cleanup crew, test kits, macro algae, and they have EXCELLENT customer service, and great products.

I dropped a few question/emails from the site based question thing to some places with similar prices and liverockranch.com was the only one to respond. I dont remember the name of the places right off. I wanted to be sure it was limestone and not some other rock. I am sure there are better and worse deals for sure. I really liked the fact that live rock ranch emailed and called. Is this the best rock I have seen? Nope. Is it the worst rock I have seen? Nope. The whole transaction was pretty painless. I emailed, he emailed and called. I ordered, he called to confirm my order. He shipped, then emailed tracking, I received. First and only to respond so he got my business and I got exactly what he described. Would I buy again from them? Not real sure I would as this rock was just average and I would hunt for better next time as I am always looking to improve and step up each build.

I will keep these other places saved for future purchases. Thank you for the info Sir!!
    150G. Reef/Mix
    75G. 20+ Africans
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information