+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Building some new DT lights (LED)

Building some new DT lights (LED)

So I'm building some lights for a friend - I had built a prototype of similar design and he likes it (no disco effect) so I'm making him 2 for his DT. It's based around a 60w 4000k 80CRI Citizen emitter with 60 degree reflector in the center, surrounded by 36 450nm Fedy RB 3w "dual chips" (means there are 2 3w chips on each emitter). Also present are 4 420nm actinics (we will probably add more in the future) and 2 475nm blue, soon to come are some 500nm cyan. The prototype was running at 60w/60w because of the power supplies I had on hand, but the "production" units will be 60w / 120w / 24w with the white and RB being dimmable. edit: The blue LEDs (and 420's and 475's) have integrated 60 degree optics.

edit: Also, I put a trim ring around the LED cluster, a piece of 6" PVC painted white on the inside and black on the outside. This helps confine the light to a 60 degree cone and eliminated glare.

The 60w white is installed on it's own heatsink, a used AMD cpu fan (with 70mm fan attached) and a hole was bored through the 7x12" heatsink to accomodate the reflector so it is flush with the black heatsink. The blue/asstd LEDs were ordered without stars, or were removed from the stars they came on and thermal epoxied into place.

Just one pic right now, I haven't gotten a tank shot yet. There's no disco effect but there is a blue halo around shadows. The shimmer effect is MUCH less crazy than a large grid array type light.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP8535-resize.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	2012

Banned
    Looks like a DIY version of something I saw at MACNA last fall. Was very cool...

Banned

I figured someone else would have thought of it too.. I keep thinking that if you could get that aluminum PCB stuff custom made cheaply (you can't) then you could do this with Cree LEDs and with the right optics it could be a really tight package. As it is, this works really well. I just wish I could get enough blue without using more than 1 ring of LEDs. I hear you can drive these Fedy ones at 1200ma (b/c there are 2 3w chips on each) but I would guess that will shorten the life span considerably.

Hi friends i want to building some new LED lights but i have no idea how to make this i am also visit the internet but not get a proper idea....
    Any body give me some idea for my LED light

You'd need to provide more details, tank size, desired occupants, budget... What size would you like the fixture? A pendant style like mine above, or a grid using long bars and evenly spaced LEDs? How high do you want to put it over the tank? That light above, driven to full power, has enough jam for (at least) 24x24 with SPS.. I'll have PAR numbers in a few days when my sensor arrives.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information