+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ultimate Screen Material

Administrator

Re: Ultimate Screen Material

Yes that's plastic canvas, and overall, it the best we have so far. Rug canvas grows better, but must be replaced periodically. Use two sheets together like pancakes. Sand all sides of them very very very rough so it almost tears them to pieces (should look ragged, and the holes should almost be blocked).

If the surface is microscopically smooth... It doesn't matter how many holes you have the Turf will be hard pressed to not slough off when you go to clean. My severely marred acrylic it still abominably bad screen material. So a zillion holes is not the only criteria.

what is the ultimate if no hole's are neccessary whould a piece of acrylic severly scratch/muled up do/be better and last longer then canvas?

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica
    Yes that's plastic canvas, and overall, it the best we have so far. Rug canvas grows better, but must be replaced periodically. Use two sheets together like pancakes. Sand all sides of them very very very rough so it almost tears them to pieces (should look ragged, and the holes should almost be blocked).
    whould 3 piece be to much or better because I can make the hole smaller?

how long before replacing?

Administrator

3 is good. It's not how small the holes are, it's how rough the screen is. The more you rough the screen, the more the holes get blocked.

Quote Originally Posted by PHYTO4LIFE
    what is the ultimate if no hole's are neccessary whould a piece of acrylic severly scratch/muled up do/be better and last longer then canvas?

I run with acrylic... It was ornately routed with hundreds of grooves. It didn't work.
    I then sanded it. Barely better.
    Then I attacked it with a wire brush. A noticeably better, but not great.
    Finally with an angle grinder to the point of severely damaging the surface in a reckless and random way. It still sheds all the turf down to the surface when cleaning, which is highly annoying.
    Also, unless the edges are all radius'd - while cleaning you WILL get very bad cuts. I split my thumb open cleaning mine.

YES! Carrying it around and rinsing it is far easier and more pleasant than a wiggly drippy flexible screen. But it needs to be done just right. I could probably do it now, over again, with good success. I would probably NOT use expensive acrylic but something else like PVC, polypropylene, or some other easily machined material. I would stipple it so it essentially looked like screen but it would be rigid.

An alternative would be, just make your rigid base out of whatever, then affix screen to it.. That way you get the best of both.

was wonder if 3 canvas would make it sturdy enough and some really good roughing up would do should I use really rough sand paper or a wire brush or a combo?

any other way's?

would having 3 allow me to rough up the out side enough while leaving a sturdy screen?

Administrator

Sturdiness does not help filtering, it just makes it easier for the screen to "stand up" by itself. It's the thickness that helps filtering, since the algae has more to grab onto. Use a wire brush or 30 grit sand paper, and rough up all sides of all the sheets.

Anyone tried Fibrous cement board on the "back" side?
    Might need curing first to see what came out or even asking them what they put in ti to hold it together.
    The rough back of the board we have here would be rough enough.....
    I'll start curing some on the weekend and let ya all know.

Only concern was "will it fall apart once it stays wet?"

Administrator

Anything cement works very well. The weight though would make it practical only for giant tanks or ponds.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information