+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drip feeding Corals

Banned
    He already has !!

OK guys, I need a kick start here. Tank is looking great with higher food content, lower nutrients (inorganic N & P). haven't had time to look at at a dose pump etc. To get me going (and others) on continuous feeding, could I blend some oysters, brine and nori and feed three times a day? Not quite continuous, but better than twice a week coral food! A basic recipe that I could freeze and feed as required would be fantastic!!

Banned
    I think there may be a link between high alkalinity causing burnt tips on acropora and food in the water column (or lack of it). From what I can piece together;
    High Alk encourages faster deposition of skeletal structure. This in turn stresses the flesh of the coral in areas that are growing rapidly.
    Feeding is not at optimal in normal tanks, so the flesh receeds instead of keeping up with growth. In turn the skeletal structure that's exposed gets infected with algae turning it brown (burnt tips). So in effect the lack of food in the system could be causing "burnt tips" not high alkalinity at all. Just a theory though. I would appreciate actual feedback from sps keepers.

My Birds nest is fat and happy. I am not an expert by any means but it grows like crazy, like every other day I see new length and new tips growing. I feed 2-3 ml of liquid food (blended shrimp and peas) about 3-4 times a week after the lights are out and I feed the fish a prepared blended mix of shrimp, carrots, and peas that all the live stock feeds on. I suspend it with gelatin so the fish can take bits out of the gelatinous meal.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Just an idea, I've ordered on of those: http://www.fish-street.com/nano_dosing_pump
    just too see what it's like.

Specs look quite well. Slowest mode is 6 ml / hour which reflects to 0,1 ml/minute which could work out..

Those tiny dosers are not very robust. Usually their motor has very low hour life. Thus not very useful for constant dosing.
    May be you can put it on timer to drip 5mins every hour or so ?

For continuous work the best is stepper motor (or such). You hardly can kill it, unless pump is stuck and it fries.

Administrator
    6ml/hr = 144/day. One day I hope to have enough scrubbing power to be able to dose that much.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information