+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Jnad's UAS test

Jnad's UAS test

Hello!

SM: There is no "insert image" button viseble above the text box to me?

Here is my test scrubber as a participant in this test group.

Sceen size total: 11x5,5 inches
    Screen size effektive: 10x4 inches
    Light: CFL 18W PL-L 2700K
    Air stone: 4 inches

Thing i have to change: Have to cover up the screen back side to block the light getting trough to the aquarium, fish and corals have now 24 hours of daylight

Question: The screen is probably way to big, but i figured i could use height of the aquarium glass. Is this a problem should i make the screen smaller for this testing to be right???

Pictures:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Akvarium 068.jpg‎
Views:	365
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	1980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Akvarium 066.jpg‎
Views:	355
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	1979   Click image for larger version

Name:	Akvarium 070.jpg‎
Views:	384
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	1978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Akvarium 073.jpg‎
Views:	383
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	1981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Akvarium 065.jpg‎
Views:	363
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	1982  

Jnad's UAS test

Hello!

Here is some pictures of my 8-days of growth, i think my growth maybe look similar to Floyd`s screen and i suspect it is beacuse too mutch light.

The white spots is beacuse of the snails, you can se one of them on the picture.

I have now done a change to the light, i have replaced the 18W cfl with one of my 3x3W 660nm leds (that i dont think really is 3 w leds). I did change to the led beacuse that i am going on a trip from wednesday to sunday and i did not trust the electrical system i had done with the cfl. Maybe the leds give me a nice suprise whith lot of growth on sunday.

I am going on a trip to Denmark to fly model sailplanes on the slopes of the west coast, got to have several hobbies

Here is the pictures:

Name:	Akvarium 081.jpg‎
Views:	304
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	2064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Akvarium 077.jpg‎
Views:	298
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	2063  

Hello!

I came back from Denmark exiting to see what happening with my screen while i had been gone:

The screen have now less algae than beafore, almost no algae at all left. I have 5 big snails + 1 eremit crab eating algae from the screen all day long .

I have the same light setup as Marksfish's with 1 led unit, 2,5 inches away from the screen 18 hours on 6 hours of.

I think the snails is a big problem, i will make a box to put the screen inside, will have it ready beafore the weekend i hope.

Jnad

uppdate

Hello!

I have now made a box for my screen to keep the snails away from the screen, the snails totally wiped the screen empty of algaes.

This box is running very nice with no bubbles ecaping to the display. The box have some openings in the bottom where water i sucked inn, when the water is sucked in and rising with the bubbles there also have to be water goung out trough the same opening in the bottom, just like an air stone driven co-current skimmer so i hope there will be sufficient sirculation of water.

When it comes to lightning i use one unit of 3x3W led, i am not sure if i should still continue to use the leds or go back to my cfl bulb, any opinions?

The box dimensions is:

Height: 31 cm
    With: 11 cm
    Depth: 3,2 cm

Pictures:

Name:	Akvarium 082.jpg‎
Views:	340
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	2174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Akvarium 090.jpg‎
Views:	331
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	2175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Akvarium 083.jpg‎
Views:	318
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	2176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Akvarium 087.jpg‎
Views:	317
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	2177  

Looking good Sir.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Administrator
    Yes it does. You'll be seeing much more of this kind of thing.

Thanks for positive feedback, hope there bee some green growth soon

Hello!

Still not very mutch luck with green growt in my UAS. I have brown growt in the top of the screen, but almost no growth at all right in front of the led lights. This maybe is beacuse the leds is burning the screen , but i have problem beliving this is the cause beacuse the leds is 2 inches away from screen.

So i have decided to do some changes too my test UAS:

First i will change the lightning to 11w cfl bulb that i know work, just to be sure that not the light is the problem.

I am also rebuilding the scrubber box to make it better:

The new box is a slim version that only is 1,5 cm deep, so it will take up very little space in the aquarium, the other dimensions of the new box will be the same as the current one. This is possible beacuse i changing the air stone with a thin air pipe i bought in my lokal shop. This pipe is only 8 mm in diameter, and it is making a one layer of "carpet" bubbles that i hope is perfect for my slim one sided UAS.

The slim design scrubber box will also force the bubbles to toutch the screen. This new box will also have an improvement when it comes to flow, the new box will have water inlet in the bottom as the old box, but the new slim version will have an outlet on the top, i hope this will improve the flow inside the scrubber as i also belive weak flow in my current scrubber also could be a reason for little growth.

The new slim version will be ready today or tomorrow and i will then post pictures .

Jnad

New box

Hello!

Here are some pictures of my new slim line scrubber box.

I have tested the box in my tank and it looks like it is running perfectly. It looks like it have good water flow from bottom and out the combined air bubble trap and outflow on top of the box. You can se the air bubble trap and outflow box mounted on the scrubber on two of the pictures. The outflow box is now glued on to the scrubber box so this "inside tank" scrubber is a one piece scrubber. The scrubber is easy to clean and it is easy to take out the 8mm air pipe.

The screen is not attached to the air pipe, but it is just free standing inside the scrubber so it is easy to just lift out for cleaning.

The intension with the 2mm pvc glass is to stop air bubbles beeing released to the display and making no algaes growing on the aquarium glass. When the scrubber is placed inside the tank on the aquarium glass the 2mm pvc glass is stopping aquarium water to reatch and sirculate on the aquarium glass, so i hope this will make no algae growing on the tank glass, but only on the inside of scrubber on the 2mm pvc glass. And on the screen of course

The scrubber box have room for maximum 4x10 inches effective screen size. Ps! The little piece of screen on the pictures is only to show where the screen is placed inside the scrubber.

This slim line box will be mounted in the tank tomorrow, i think it will only depend on the right lightning to get growth now, i hope

Name:	Akvarium 091.jpg‎
Views:	320
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	2254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Akvarium 102.jpg‎
Views:	339
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	2255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Akvarium 097.jpg‎
Views:	306
Size:	14.5 KB