+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Jnad's UAS test

Tanks!

The scrubber is now running in the tank.

The flow and bubbles trough the scrubber looks good, and there is no air bubbles escaping to the display.

When i changed to the new box there was more algae (brown) then first thought, and there was a green layer on the aquarium glass.

Post some new pictures in a couple of days

Jnad

Banned
    This design looks really good because the thin chamber will force the bubbles through the algal mat. This is in contrast to mine, where the bubbles easily bypass the screen when the mat grows out.

Tanks Floyd R Turbo.

I think your on top scrubber design is great, and your growth looking good i see

Yes the slim design of my scrubber will force the bubbles in to the algae mat. I can see now that the bubbles actually pressing the screen up against the back wall in the scrubber. Dont wish to brag, but the scrubber seems too work very well, so now i think it is only up to get the right lightning to Get some growth.

Jnad

Hello!

Want to give you a tip you can try if you are struggeling to find the right air stone: Try to use a regular flexible pvc tube with a lot of holes in.

I have tried several different airstones and in my last slim design scrubber box i have used an 8mm pvc pipe with holes. All of them have produced bubbles, but they all have had one one problem "they where noisy". When pushing the amount of air flow the bubbles make a popping sound when they relises from the air stone or pipe, and with my setup the bubbles noise became louder than the airpump.

Today i took an regular flexible pvc tube ( i used 8mm pvc tube beacuse of the slim scrubber box) and used an pin to make a lot of holes in the tube, and then i exchanged the current pvc pipe with this "diy" pvc bubble tube.

The result was surprisingly good, the noise was gone and even the bubbles were better.

Some pros:
    Low cost, now need to clean when clogged, just make a new one.
    You can make it the size you want to match your set up.
    It is flexible
    Make no noise

By the way, i have now got growth on my screen, the growth have accelerated after making the slim scrubber box that forces the bubbles to toutch the screen and have mutch better flow then my previous box.

I will post some pictures of screen and scrubber box later tonight or tomorrow.

Jnad

update pictures

Hello!

Here are som update pictures of growth on screen and scrubber.

The scrubber look to work good when it comes to water hydraulic, if you look closely at the picture of the front of the scrubber you can see that water flow is pulling air bubbles out of the scrubber. I turned up the amount of air just a little bit to show water coming out of the outlet, i usually run it with a little bit less air power.

I have been thinking of change the leds back to cfl bulb, but beacuse the growth seem to be better now i give the leds some more time.
    The growth seem to be better after i changed to the slim line box that forcing the bubbles into the screen, the better flow is also an advantage i think.

The ugly light fixture is only temporary for the UAS test
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Akvarium.jpg‎
Views:	226
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	2321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Akvarium 108.jpg‎
Views:	235
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	2322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Akvarium 111.jpg‎
Views:	227
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	2323  

Administrator
    I think it will grow well.

I hope so.

I dont now if it is positive or negative but the new "diy" air tube i am using make smaller air bubbles then my previous air stone. I can now see that there is small air bubbles attached in the algae in the screen. Beacuse of the small bubble size the same amount of air give less "viseble" turbulente in the algae, that maybe is a negative factor? I had more turbulens with bigger bubbles, maybe i should make some bigger holes in the flexible air tube?

Any thoughts?

Administrator
    More turbulence is probably better, but until a lot of people try both it won't be for certain.

I will make a flexible bubble tube with bigger holes to morrow just to try.

Funny, when i do a significant increase in the air flow (more than i normally using) with the current flexible pvc tube that make theese small bubbles, my scrubber starts to make foam just like a protein skimmer . Hell, i could just make an skimmer cup that fit on the top of the scrubber and wola, i would have an UAS and a protein skimmer in one unit . But i dont want too use a skimmer though

Might be a perfect filter unit for those who wants use both scrubber and skimmer

Hello!

Did make a new flexible pvc tube with bigger holes in today, have tested it and it made bigger bubbles as it was intended. I used a 1mm drill to make the holes, you might think 1mm holes is to large, but beacuse of the pvc materiale in the tube the holes is less than 1mm.

After testing this new tube i replaced it with the tube that made very small bubbles again, this beacuse i dont think someone yet have tested an UAS with very small air bubbles. I decided to see how it goes.

I now have more algae than in the previous picture I posted, and i think i can see some green spots.

I post some pictures in a couple of days.

Jnad

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information