+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pics of Mudshark on the MASA site

Administrator

Pics of Mudshark on the MASA site

"Skimmerless since the 10th of Jan [2009]. Obviously the ATS was running for a while before I switched the skimmer off. I didn't have an increase in PO4 or NO3 from day 1. Both have been undetectable since then."

Re: Pics of Mudshark on the MASA site

Absolutely stunning tank! Thanks for posting the pics up SantaMonica.

what size tank is this its wonderful cant wait for mine to look like that :evil:

Hey, thanks for the compliments guys and thanks for posting the pics Santa Monica. It's a 500 litre plus 75 litre sump tank. The slimmerless route has been the most rewarding journey in keeping marine creatures, that I could have embarked upon. Not only is it less maintenance than the conventional LNS(low nutrient systems) out there, but it's also much cheaper.

I would advise anyone starting on the algal scrubber route to initially run a protein skimmer in conjunction with the ATS, at least until the tank is mature enough to buffer any mishaps. This also gives you leeway in case you need to tweek the performance on your scrubber.

Can we have a picture of the scrubber as well.
    That tank is awesome :shock: and will be interesting to see if you need a bigger screen as the bioload increases with the increase in coral mass/metabolites.
    One of the intersting things that will happen once Algae Scrubbers become common place will be the increase in scrubber size with the increase of coral/fish mass we end up growing.

Great example.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Aquagold
    Can we have a picture of the scrubber as well.
    That tank is awesome :shock: and will be interesting to see if you need a bigger screen as the bioload increases with the increase in coral mass/metabolites.
    One of the intersting things that will happen once Algae Scrubbers become common place will be the increase in scrubber size with the increase of coral/fish mass we end up growing.

Great example.

Rob
    Thanks Rob. I can't seem to upload my pics from Photobucket here. Maybe Santa Monica can help. Once your system has stabalised with the scrubber, any increase in bioload(which should be gradual) will simpley result in more rapid algae growth on your screen. This will require proportionally increased harvesting.
    Cheers
    Broder(Mudshark on MASA)

Administrator

Here is the scrubber...

Thanks Santamonica.
    Always amazed me when so many people have looked down on them for so long
    These things make reefing or just aquarium keeping much easier.
    They are enviromently friendly in the case that you don't need to use as much water etc.

I have used the same algal filter on my goldfish frm for 10 years now and we grow fish faster than anyone here.

nice yard and scrubber

My scrubber has more or less gotten rid of the last of the nuicance algae that was left. As you can see, the tank is moderately well stocked, and I feed liberally.

There are some small patches of macro algae here and there, but to get rid of every last trace would be unnatural.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information