+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pics of Mudshark on the MASA site

Re: Pics of Mudshark on the MASA site

Your tank and setup are great. I appreciate the posts.

The staghorn has recovered very nicely. There is already new growth on many of the tips.

Check out the warfare going on between the monti cap and the acro. The acro won the first round, now the cap is gonna grow over the acro, therby shading it and winning the next round.

The elkhorn monti is starting to take off big time.

Since I've become aware of the iodine deficiency in my water, colours seem to be improving.

hi m8 stunning tank , that scrubber you have is running well , how long did it take to mature , also what bulbs are you using , and last question is it pumped or grav feed , cheers oc

Quote Originally Posted by ocean rock
    hi m8 stunning tank , that scrubber you have is running well , how long did it take to mature , also what bulbs are you using , and last question is it pumped or grav feed , cheers oc
    It's awhile that it's been going now, but I think that it took about a month to have good solid growth on it. It probably took about 6 months for real improvements to be visible in the display. I'm using 4x 45w energy saver lamps of 4000k. The scrubber fed by a 3500 l/hr pump.

I would love to see more detailed pics of this ats. Is there a build thread with information on the ats?

Hi mate,

Very nice tank...

Is it the only source of filtration? Did you remove your skimmer and the calcium reactor?

Do you supplement anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by mikepao13
    Hi mate,

Very nice tank...

Is it the only source of filtration? Did you remove your skimmer and the calcium reactor?

Do you supplement anything else?
    It is a filtration aid. I am in the process of adding a big protein skimmer as the scrubber is not able to cope with a high bio-load. Nitrate and phosphate levels have been progressively climbing over the past few months and consequently SPS corals are browning. I make use of a DSB as well. Calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate are dosed manually daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Broder

It is a filtration aid. I am in the process of adding a big protein skimmer as the scrubber is not able to cope with a high bio-load. Nitrate and phosphate levels have been progressively climbing over the past few months and consequently SPS corals are browning. I make use of a DSB as well. Calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate are dosed manually daily.
    Was it just undersized for your tank? I had the opposite problem on my previous tank/scrubber build (having to dump food in just to keep the corals in good shape), so I'm curious as to why it wasn't able to keep up in your particular case.

Administrator

The cure for my slow increase in nutrients was old bulbs, and slowing flow due to calcium buildup in the pumps. If you are feeding the same amounts, the scrubber can't work differently now that it did before.

The scrubber was able to cope initially, but as the bio-load has increased due to fish growing and being added to the tank, it can no longer keep up.

Flow is still the same over the screens, lights are changed every 6 months. This is becoming an expensive excercise. Furthermore our electricity is becoming very expensive in South Africa and you can imagine that 4 x 45w lamps plus the 85w pump running 24/7 costs alot more than the 40w that the skimmer requires.

I'll slowly try to reduce the light period of the scrubber until it is no longer needed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information