+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I am going to give it a try...

Administrator

Re: I am going to give it a try...

You actually do want to destroy the screen with rough sandpaper. Best case would be to get it so rough you can't see through it, and so it would cut your skin. This will hold the most algae, and was the most important criteria in my search for a proper screen material.

I will have to look through the site again on best screen types and roughing them up. I was thinking this was the best type of screen and I wouldn't have to rough it up.

I found some examples online of the type of hooks/clamps I was thinking of that would replace the tie straps for holding the screen on the bar.

[attachment=2:321q91tn]Curtain Ring 01.jpg[/attachment:321q91tn]
    [attachment=1:321q91tn]Curtain Ring 02.jpg[/attachment:321q91tn]
    [attachment=0:321q91tn]Curtain Ring 03.jpg[/attachment:321q91tn]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator

Those are a good idea.

Update:

1) I recieved the new pump, but I had to send it back because it was damaged. I will have to wait another week to increase the flow. :cry:
    2) I lowered the bar by replacing the post pipes. Now the screen should still be in the water even after some water has evaporated.
    3) I replace the tie straps with curtain rings. :mrgreen: This seems to be working well.
    4) I changed the left screen. I took two screens and scuffed both sides with a wire brush. I sandwiched the old screen with the two new ones and tied them together with tie straps. This design seems to quickly trap a lot of debri/floating algae between the screens. Also, this design requires the increase flow more.
    5) I did not bother with pictures of the screens before rinsing them because they had very little of anything on them.

[attachment=0:2jctljph]DSC08791.JPG[/attachment:2jctljph]

More pictures:

[attachment=2:1ff14gqq]DSC08792.JPG[/attachment:1ff14gqq]
    [attachment=1:1ff14gqq]DSC08793.JPG[/attachment:1ff14gqq]
    [attachment=0:1ff14gqq]DSC08794.JPG[/attachment:1ff14gqq]

Administrator

Yes a double/triple screen will indeed "catch" more... which is exactly what you want. The algae has much much more stuff to grab onto, which mean less washes off into the water, and also you can clean the outer layers thoroughly without having to worry about leaving some algae behind (because the algae will be grown in-between the layers.)

Can you post close-up pics of the mutiple layers?

Yes, Santa Monica, you were correct. More screen layers and roughing them up is more efficiant. (Is there a spell check here??)

I posted this morning, but I took the pictures and did the changes Thursday. Then I had like nothing on the either screen. From Thursday to this morning, I had a thin spotty covering on the Triple Screen. I was not sure if the build up was from the debri in the water getting trapped between the screens or was it growing. This morning after I posted, I cleaned the Triple Screen and then sewed a line at the top to keep the gap closed between the screens. I was gone most of the day. When I came home, I noticed it had more growth.

I will get some pictures.

I am not sure what you wanted to see with the close ups. If I did not capture it, let me know and I will take more pictures. The battery died so I am charging it now. Also, I did not think to shut the pump off to take the pictures until after.

Only one screen goes into the bar. About an half inch from the sides and down from the bar is only on screen. The shower curtain rings go through all three screens. I sewed across just above the holes for the rings and down in the middle along the top of outer screens.

[attachment=2:1id8598e]DSC08795.JPG[/attachment:1id8598e]
    [attachment=1:1id8598e]DSC08796.JPG[/attachment:1id8598e]
    [attachment=0:1id8598e]DSC08797.JPG[/attachment:1id8598e]

more...

[attachment=1:39yysaa5]DSC08798.JPG[/attachment:39yysaa5]
    [attachment=2:39yysaa5]DSC08802.JPG[/attachment:39yysaa5]
    [attachment=0:39yysaa5]DSC08804.JPG[/attachment:39yysaa5]

Administrator

Yes that last pic is more like it. I'm looking for a shot of the edge of the screen, to show the thickness/3layers. Maybe you could spread them apart a little to show the layers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information