+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scott26's UAS Test

Scott26's UAS Test

Okay I am going to give this a go while I don't have much livestock invested in the tank. I am gathering supplies now and would like any advice to make sure the screen matures properly. I just put water in my little cube two days ago so not much going on in there yet and no UAS set up yet. I am going to be picking up some cured rock later and adding that to the system then the UAS will go in my sump. I have experience with the old style scrubber but have not used one on a brand new tank any tips on that portion would be great.

Thanks.

Administrator
    Like any new tank, it probably will not grow much until there are animals in it that are eating.

Okay here is the virgin design.

I tired the first time by just attaching it to the air stone but the thing wouldn't stay down so I tried to zip it to a piece up live rock with no luck and then I found some PVC laying around and got this going.

Then I noticed that this air stone was working well but seemed to be looking some of the bubbles since the stone is about 3/4" wide and the screen is only so wide so some were just floating away.

So I tried the other type of air stone called a "wand" and it works okay but I was getting more bubble contact with the basic stone.

Then I thought why not use both! I also noticed that if I left the zip ties uncut then they can be left up to support the screen.

This is just with the basic stone on, I plan to get a Y connector to power both.

Looking good so far!

What lighting have you planned?

Neat design...will it be a one sided screen? if not, how do you plan to light the rear side?

Banned
    LOL read my thread I used the EXACT same blue stone and found the same thing, then switched to the EXACT same wand (srusso beat me to it)

That is great using the PVC pipe through the stand-off that came with that wand. I just cut them off and tied it to the blue stone.

I would get a smaller piece of PVC (like 1/2") and just slide it through the stand-offs.

Banned
    And good idea on the zip ties to support the screen!

Just been reading this and other trials and it seems to me that the biggest problem is to get the bubbles to go up the screen.

Could you not bend a thin piece of acrylic around the airstone so that the 2 edges just clear the screen and so direct the bubbles up onto the mesh. Just a thought from an beginner.

Dennis

Administrator
    Actually when the bubble flow is strong, they seem to want to stick to, or suck up to, the screen a bit if they are near the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Doompie View Post
    Looking good so far!

What lighting have you planned?
    I am just going to use a CFL since I still have about two extras from my last ATS set up. I just need to get the bulb, but I also have to wait for my tank to cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Othello View Post
    Neat design...will it be a one sided screen? if not, how do you plan to light the rear side?
    It is going to one sided I hope that this size (5x6) will be enough and I don't plan to have a very large bio load at start up. And if this new design is as good as it can be then I will have to buy one of Floyd's boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    LOL read my thread I used the EXACT same blue stone and found the same thing, then switched to the EXACT same wand (srusso beat me to it)

That is great using the PVC pipe through the stand-off that came with that wand. I just cut them off and tied it to the blue stone.

I would get a smaller piece of PVC (like 1/2") and just slide it through the stand-offs.
    I am actually going to be running both the blue stone and the wand at the same time I figure more air the better! I just have to get a Y connector, I also have to get a piece of acrylic or something to control the salt creep.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    And good idea on the zip ties to support the screen!
    Ya! I was about the chop em and I thought wait a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisC View Post
    Just been reading this and other trials and it seems to me that the biggest problem is to get the bubbles to go up the screen.

Could you not bend a thin piece of acrylic around the airstone so that the 2 edges just clear the screen and so direct the bubbles up onto the mesh. Just a thought from an beginner.

Dennis
    Sounds like a possibility but like SM said when I have the air going strong they really do all attach it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Actually when the bubble flow is strong, they seem to want to stick to, or suck up to, the screen a bit if they are near the glass.
    That is my findings as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information