+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Lighting the Dump Bucket

Administrator
    Slime is usually just a weak light.

That is usually true so I can't figure this out. I have been bombarding this screen with 4 times as much light as I used to use with the either VHOs, the long Compact Fluorescents or the Halogen lamp. I have the phosphates down now and they are staying down (for now), even though I would expect some major bounce back leaching from the rock.
    I have nothing to look at but not enough nutrients to feed the screen. I don't want to jump to adding fish emulsion fertilizer like I used to when I was over scrubbing. Instead, I will cut the light in half and feed more liberally.

Administrator
    As long as the nutrients are down, there's no real reason to care about how the growth looks. But I'd guess the screen is too big.

That is a distinct possibility. I may try that next.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by herring_fish View Post
    I don't want to jump to adding fish emulsion fertilizer like I used to when I was over scrubbing.
    Not to go off topic here, but what is this feet and what were you using it for??

I didn't quite understand the question ...but I used to use fish emulsion fertilizer. I added about a cap full every day for a few days when the algae growth slowed down. I normally poured the cap full in the tray and turned off to pump for a few minute so that the bucket didn't dump.

I did build that scrubber at the max. spec.s so that I could over feed when I wasn't to. When I didn't feeding enough, it was easier to just add fertilizer. I didn't want to use Miracle Grow because of the copper. I also thought that it was just more natural. I don't know the brand. I really didn't give it much thought at the time and I got away with it so I kept it up when needed.

I hope that I answered the right question.

Banned
    Well I was asking because I'm still searching for the right additive(s) to use in order to do some "benchmark" testing on bare tanks to compare algae growth (per this thread http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...rce-Experiment)

So far, I have this one

http://florida-aqua-farms.com/secure...ACRO_NUTRIENTS

And perhaps some FW plant-growth supplements, dunno.

So if I understand this right, you would underfeed the tank and add this emulsion to feed the scrubber. Do you have a link for this product?

Again, i just grabber fertilizer from the cabinet so I don't know what brand it was, sorry.
    Wow! That is quite a thread. As you know, I am interested in that type of stuff. I only read a few posts to get the feel but I have only heard good things about the Florida Aqua Farms products.

I looked into growing phyto and zooplankton back in the 90's so I bought their booklet, along with some low end starter equipment. After reading the booklet, I decided that I was not up to the task. I didn't even use what I had except that the strainer comes in handy from time to time.
    As you may know, I have finally jumped back into growing zooplankton and built a 2 axis robot to feed it, all just for fun. I still don't think that I am up to growing phyto so I just changed from Reed Maricultures's paste to a new product that is suppose cut way down on crashes.
    To tie all this back into the subject, the left over phyto will add to the bio load in the main tank and hopefully, that will help the algae growth.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information