+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Ruddybop's UAS test

And how goes your nitrate? Did it come down?

Quote Originally Posted by alex leblanc View Post
    And how goes your nitrate? Did it come down?
    I'm still fighting with my nitrates at the moment in the 220G... 40ppm and higher.... doing water changes, but with this new idea I have clean one side only. It has only been three weeks.... I have cut my fish down to 16... from the 22 or 21 ....lol .. I lost count...

Took 6 Convicts out and have them in a 55G with a scrubber........ That scrubber has been 40+ppm so far...... I'm still trying new things, but have to do water changes in the process.....

10G with 3 fish stays 10 to 20 ppm .... and I have never done a water change...... 1 betta 2", 1 tetra 2", 1 bristle nose pleco 3"

Thats all I have ever grown in a my FW scrubber when it was going.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Quote Originally Posted by kerry View Post
    Thats all I have ever grown in a my FW scrubber when it was going.
    Yeah I noticed that the salt water come in a lot thicker. This is the first time mine has grown like this. Took for ever trying different things.

Maybe now I can start to see how it controls my nitrates in this big tank..

Today I disconnected my FX5 (just for test purposes) because I have heard that some canister filters can be a nitrite factory making nitrate with all the waste that gets stuck in it.

I put all the ceramic and other media in my sump along with the sponges after I cleaned them to keep the bacteria alive. The main filter now is a 100 Micron Sock. I guess I'm trying different things to see if I can lower my Nitrate. Still ranging from 40 to 80 ppm with the 9x14 scrubber. I also removed one Tiger Oscar that was getting beat up by my Kamfa... He is resting in my 55 with a few Convicts and some medication. (Got roughed up pretty good)

So now I just have a sump on my 220G FW. I just can't get it to lower and stay lowered...

I had the same issue, no lower then 40-ish as well. I took my canister out and it improved a little but I soon took it down to convert it to SW as it is now.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    75G. 20+ Africans
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.

I've removed my canister without any problem and my nitrate start to go down, Ive remove the biomedia in my aquaclear 500 still no problem. I'm now running only the aquaclear 500 with a sponge that I clean under the faucet each week and the UAS and everybody look happy and breeding. But I feed alot less then suggest, will see with time if I could up the feeding.

Hopefully Alex and Kerry this will help... I guess time will tell... Funny how my 15 G at work will not even register any Nitrate and it just has algae on all the glass surface and some in the sponges on my hang on.... I'm beginning to thing that fresh water scrubbers need to be bigger for some reason on this 220G.... I haven't given up yet because I know it works. My 15G has proven it, but the 15G also has over 500 square inches of surface algae all over... It's not the prettiest tank but my Angels are healthy....

Keep us posted please. I know it works but I think FW might need to bigger as well. I had almost two full size screens but I was a little under powered on the light but I grew so much algae I had to clean the screen about every 5 days (+/- 1 day in most cases). Waiting a week was to long as the algae would start to fall off and end up in the tank.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    75G. 20+ Africans
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.

Just a short video of the growth on my scrubber.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information