+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Ruddybop's UAS test

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    It's too big for the amount of feeding, so the growth stays thin.
    Ok...I have had nitrate problems with this tank forever... I changed 140Gallons in three days and it's still high 40 to 80 .. Going to do another water change tomorrow.

I got reading and found that Bio Balls with a drip tray causes the oxygen/water/bacteria to make a nitrate factory..I have 8Gallons of Bio Balls with 1 Gallon under water. Sooo I am doing some changes.. Bio Balls are now completely submerged under water except for about an inch with scrubbies mixed in.. Drip tray is elevated about 8 inches above.

And...I cut back on feeding because of my nitrate problem(reason for making this) But I realized the scrubber can't filter if it doesn't have food, so I have continued to feed my normal amount.

These guys are pigs....

Why not remove those balls and drop your scrubber in their place?

Quote Originally Posted by sklywag View Post
    Why not remove those balls and drop your scrubber in their place?
    Lol...because I'm scared to.... This FW 220G tank has been set up for 21 months with Sump, FX5, Fluval 305 (Both Fluval media baskets are set up for Biological filtration). Ammonia-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate---All over the place.

I am open to suggestions though....I'm just afraid of loosing my Bio Filtration

Well you have plenty of places for BB to grow for sure because your nitrate is high. I would start by taking about a gallon or two of balls out every day or every other and watch the nutrients. I did this same thing after I started my 150G FW scrubber. I had better results when I finally got all the balls out. The only BB material I kept was the bio wheel on the H.O.T Magnum. You will have plenty of surface area for BB like the glass, substrate, and rock type ornaments.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Day 31

Well my growth is still green and it's starting to get a slight 3D to it.
    Any suggestions?
    Clean it or let it go longer?

It doesn't have a good smell to it......lol

Front of screen

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3856.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	2822Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3857.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	2823

Name:	IMG_3861.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	2827

Back of screen

Name:	IMG_3858.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	2824Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3859.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	2825
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3860.jpg‎
Views:	151
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	2826  

Quote Originally Posted by kerry View Post
    Well you have plenty of places for BB to grow for sure because your nitrate is high. I would start by taking about a gallon or two of balls out every day or every other and watch the nutrients. I did this same thing after I started my 150G FW scrubber. I had better results when I finally got all the balls out. The only BB material I kept was the bio wheel on the H.O.T Magnum. You will have plenty of surface area for BB like the glass, substrate, and rock type ornaments.
    Oh and Kerry..... I took a couple of gallons of bio balls out... I'll work on getting more out in a few more days...

I removed my Fluval 305 and put it on the 55 in the garage. So I just have the sump and FX5......

Administrator
    Clean

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Clean
    Thanks SM... All clean .... Sometimes you say let it go for 14 days so I figure I would ask.... I think you say that for the fresh starting scrubbers don't you?

Administrator
    Depends how it's growing. Yours was dark and dying.

Quote Originally Posted by kerry View Post
    Kerry....I ran into this Bio Ball Tower for a Koi Pond... I found this very interesting write up. It explains the whole Biological filtration and how bio balls can filter ammonia,nitrite, and nitrate if made correctly. The surrounding air plays an important role in a bio ball tower to get rid of gases so wet/drys aren't a nitrite factory. Are wet/drys are enclosed so the gases cant escape... This link explains it better with video...

http://lukmannet.blogspot.com/2010/1...ical-pond.html

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information