+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Swhite's UAS LED test

Hey buddy,

New to the algae scrubber world... been pouring over everything i can get my hands on the last week or so in prep for my first DIY. Been told that these UAS options are still in the experimental phase and don't work quite as well however, due to setup ect i'm giving serious thought to going this route. Quick question for ya, you mentioned in your first post that you had ~75^2" so basically a whole sheet but thought that you might need to double up down the line. I know you tried and failed with the mirror idea but am curious if you still feel that doubling up would be beneficial? I've also heard that sizing is based on feeding and this seems to be a bit over sized to me based on that scale. Are you feeding a lot or what's the thought behind screen size coming from you? Thanks for the input! Oh and looks like you've had great progress!

Sorry for the delayed response. Yes I feed quite a bit and the seahorses are messy eaters, only partially digesting the food. I'm up to, and stopping at, 7 sea horses now and feed at least 5 cubes a day. While the screen may be undersized I think that the temps I run, 70-73*F, are retarding the growth compared to warmer tanks.

The stuff I scrape off isn't very deep/thick. I'm moving to a 10 day schedule to give it a chance to fill in better. The bits of hair algae that grow in the same area as the screen but not on it only grow about 3/8" weekly, so I'm not too worried about too much growth on the screen in that 2 days.

The hair algae in my tank is everywhere but as long as I see improvement on the screen I'll stick with the scrubber. As well I have 2 pincushion urchins eating all of the macro and bubble algae. Hoping that they will work on the hair as well, but there is still plenty of macro to eat for the time being.
    Thread with my current build of UAS: Here
    150g seahorse system:
    75g seahorse DT
    25g deep sand bed fuge and cheato tumbler
    55g sump
    40g fuge for pod production

Arduino based controller for dimmable LEDS and lights over fuges, heater/chiller, ATO and RO/DI production.
    Temps run between 70-73*F.

Photos of the horses and DT:http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t...mbo/Seahorses/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread Information