+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Swhite's UAS LED test

Swhite's UAS LED test

A couple hours playing with various scraps of acrylic, egg crate and a $0.59 piece of screen gets me this:

This will go in an empty compartment in one of my fuges. The screen will be tilted at 15* to force air contact. It has stand-offs at the top which will lean on the side of the tank. The small piece of acrylic in front/bottom will be painted black and help prevent the air stone from growing algae. Both pieces can be easily removed for cleaning. And if there is any issue of attempted floating I can weigh down the egg crate in the back.

While I am estimating that I would need 120 inches by the end of summer, this one's surface area is only about 75 square inches. But it fits perfectly in that particular section. If I need to make a 2nd screen I have real estate elsewhere I can use.
    At this point I really just need lights and an air stone.

I'll likely get an air stone soon but the LEDs might be a little while off. Would it be even worth my time to throw a 15w CFL spot light that I already have at the screen once it's installed until I get my LEDs?
    Last edited by SantaMonica; 06-15-2012 at 06:06 AM.
    Thread with my current build of UAS: Here
    150g seahorse system:
    75g seahorse DT
    25g deep sand bed fuge and cheato tumbler
    55g sump
    40g fuge for pod production

Arduino based controller for dimmable LEDS and lights over fuges, heater/chiller, ATO and RO/DI production.
    Temps run between 70-73*F.

Photos of the horses and DT:http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t...mbo/Seahorses/

Looking good sir.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Administrator
    Will be a good idea to see if the tilt really helps.

So as a test fit I threw in some crappy 1" air stones.

The 15* angle of the screen causes the bubbles to fan out to a 4 inch spread at the top. Once I get a proper air stone I should have excellent coverage.
    150g seahorse system:
    75g seahorse DT
    55g sump

Arduino based controller for dimmable LEDS and lights over fuges, heater/chiller, ATO and RO/DI production.

Photos of the horses and DT:http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t...mbo/Seahorses/

I am really digging this look. It forces air contact, the solid piece of acrylic behind the screen doesn't let air push through but redirects it up, and looks like the effect is to get total screen coverage.

My only suggestion would be to use black acrylic for where the small piece of angled acrylic is so it prevents light from getting to the airstones, hopefully minimizing the amount of algae they will grow.

This is a solid idea, but I am wondering how I can carry something like this over to be converted on my algae scrubber at home. I have a SM100 and don't want to lose the effect of growing algae on both sides. Maybe it is possible to create a V shaped scrubber at perhaps the same angles as you have so as to get the most coverage. I will be putting some drawings together today. Sorry for the highjack of the thread.

Definitely will be following along on this one.

Actually the screen is on a 1/2 acrylic frame. But it doesn't look like many of the bubbles pass through. And once I have green mat growing no air would get through anyway.

None of my available spaces really allow for an easy 2 sided screen with out building an external box. That's one of the reasons I REALLY like this new UAS concept as it is basically plug and play with out running any new pipes for water.

I had always intended on painting the front shield black once I get a proper air stone.

Just for kicks I have a CFL spotlight on the screen to see if I can get any positive growth until I can fund the LEDs.
    150g seahorse system:
    75g seahorse DT
    55g sump

Ah gotcha. Did you just use rods for that? Here is a little mock up of what I was thinking to do with mine. Going off your idea, but making it a V set up.

I added a photo in the first post of the back of the screen.

I would think that it would very much encourage contact with the bubbles. Just need to make sure it's still easy to remove and to clean. But I have no actual experience just theory-craft.
    150g seahorse system:
    75g seahorse DT
    55g sump

Ah I see what you did now. If the bubbles are big enough they shouldn't go through.

I need some acrylic -.- I wish I could fabricate with acrylic lol.
    I would make a removable V, kind of like what you have there, make it all one piece that I can slide off the screens.. would be epic.

Either way, looking forward to see how this goes.

Where I have gotten my acrylic: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/def...arentcatid=795
    And some cement: http://www.amazon.com/IPS-Weldon-Acr.../dp/B003HNJEY0
    Some basic tools and there you go.
    150g seahorse system:
    75g seahorse DT
    55g sump

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information