Another pic. More green. Looking good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	UAS-051712.jpg‎
Views:	220
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	2361  

Administrator
    Should be filled in another few days.

Friday AM pic. It has filled in more. I'm starting to get some algae on the acrylic window. We'll have to see how long this takes to start obstructing the light.

Name:	UAS-051812.jpg‎
Views:	197
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	2366  

11 LEDs on a 6x4 heatsink is loading it pretty well. The heatsink is getting very warm (but not too hot to touch), and the scrubber raises the temp of the tank about 4 degrees F when it is on. I don't think that's really a problem, since it is still under 80 degrees, but I might put a fan on the heatsink to see how much it reduces the heat input to the tank.

Folloving your progress with interest.
    Can you try to make photo with no flash ?

If there is no flash there is no light. I'm taking the picture through the portal that the LEDs shine into. The box inside is closed, so there's no way to light it besides through the portal. I tried using a flashlight, but that gave an even worse reflection. I'll take pics of the whole screen and assembly when I clean it in a few days.

Banned
    I've got 14 LEDs on mine (2 sides) and there's nearly zero heat transfer. That's very odd that you would transmit any heat at all to your tank. Is the area the heat sink is in completely closed off to air convection?

The area where the LEDs are is completely sealed so they do not leak any light into the room, which means the air trapped there is transferring a fair amount of heat to the glass. If it were to really be a problem, a fan on the heatsink, or some way for the air to flow out of the space would probably mitigate it. I've got loads of old computer fans around, so it wouldn't be a big deal to add one.

Banned
    Hmmm I leave a gap of about 1/2" or so above my heat sinks, the though was that I wanted to allow the heat from the LEDs to 'vent out'. Maybe that's why I don't have that problem?

Update pics from two cleanings. First cleaning is on 05-21 after roughly a week of running. The growth is nice and dark green, but pretty slimy and it came off the mesh easily. Several strands escaped into the tank when I pulled the box out. The growth looked thicker in the water than it really was when I pulled it out.

Name:	UAS-052112.jpg‎
Views:	187
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	2561  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information