+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: vahegan's UAS test

If you use the diffuser grating, you can paint the top and bottom so that the only areas of the screen that get light are the brightly lit areas in the middle, which would resolve SM's concern. Also, it would stop algae growing on the airstone.

You might also consider putting something behind the screen to block light from going into the sump, as you'll likely get a lot of algae growing in there eventually.

What are your N and P measurements currently?

Administrator
    Also, more/larger bubbles will diffuse more.

Thank you very much for your input, guys!

Bud, I am afraid these diffusers aren't available in my country. I can only try to order those from the Internet, but it'll take 3-4 weeks until they are delivered...

But these Surexi modules I use they aren't like your common LEDs, they were designed for agricultural lighting and there is already a sort of diffuser on the top of these LEDs. I'll try to make a better photo tomorrow.

I think I will also clean the screen tomorrow.

MorganAtlanta, I do plan installing a mirror behind the screen, maybe somewhere next week. I will have to silicone a piece of glass behind the mirror to prevent the amalgam from contacting the water, and will have to wait a couple of days until silicon cures before I put it in my sump. There is already some growth on my skimmer wall, which is just behind the screen. I wonder whether there is growth on the inside wall of the skimmer as there are lots of bubbles rubbing it all the time. My fiend is now trying to grow algae in the skimmer, he inserted a screen into the MCE-300 hang-on skimmer and is lighting it from the outside. A very interesting approach, in my opinion.

Unfortunately no one has commented on my idea of replacing the air wand with a skimmer style pump. I experimented a little today: I cut a slot in a thick walled PP pipe and drilled a hole on the opposite side to insert the pump pipe.

I also inserted a piece of screen horizontally in the pipe to serve as a "bubble plate". I experimented with two small pumps: a had a 200l/h and a 450l/h pump lying around but wasn't getting sufficient bubbles. The next size pump I have is way too strong, about 2000l/h, will try to get something like 800-1000l/h tomorrow.

There are very fine bubbles coming out of the slot, anyway. SantaMonica, do you think its better to have larger bubbles?

As for N and P: they are not detectable with the tests I presently have (API).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	09-pipe-slot.jpg‎
Views:	817
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	2370   Click image for larger version

Name:	10-pipe-feed.jpg‎
Views:	894
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	2371  

Administrator
    As long as there is enough airflow, the slot should work.

OK, today it was day 11, and I did the first cleaning.

before clean

after clean

Underneath brownish and slimy algae in some spots there was also green algae which was very hard to scrape off the screen (using an old credit card). In some places it was dark green, in some other - light green, and in a couple of spots it was light-yellow-green. I remember SM has mentioned somewhere that yellow color is an indication of algae dyeing off so I assume I was a little bit late with my first cleaning.

Anyway, I was surprised to see any green algae at all on a completely new screen at its very first cleaning. Although the amount of algae grown was too little to talk about any nutrients export, I hope that these are signs that my scrubber is on the right path.

One thing I'd like to mention: looking on the screen after cleaning, it seems that there is less algae directly in front of the LEDs, and more on some distance from them. i.e. my LEDs are placed in 2 rows, and there are 3 rows dark from algae on the screen and 2 whiter rows - just in front of the LEDs. I assume that light is too strong there and burns the algae. Perhaps I really need to find a place that sells those diffusers online somewhere.

Name:	11-before_clean#1.jpg‎
Views:	894
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	2374   Click image for larger version

Name:	12-after_clean#1.jpg‎
Views:	852
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	2375  

Banned
    At this point, don't clean any of the green algae off. Just rinse away the slimy stuff and maybe a gentle rub with fingers. I scraped my screen down completely (didn't scrub, it just pretty much came off) on Monday and my growth is very low.

Yeah, thanks, Bud! Next week will be less vigorous in my attempts to clean the screen...

My friend has just sent me the pics of the screen that he placed inside the Deltec MCE-300 skimmer a week ago. the screen was lit by a 23W compact-fluorescent bulb.

I believe the result is very promising for a new screen, just one week old. This can be the simplest scrubber solution for the owners of hang-on skimmers with clear walls.

Name:	skrummer_sm.jpg‎
Views:	839
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	2402   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_sm.jpg‎
Views:	895
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	2403  

Banned
    Sorry for being blunt, but how are those photo's promising.

Compared to my 10G CFL test unit they are awesome!!!! Mine is like 5 weeks older and is not as far as this it.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information