+ Reply to Thread

Thread: scrubber for heavy planted freshwater?

scrubber for heavy planted freshwater?

I got abit a black Beard/hair aglae problem and also I can't get my no3 below 25mg/l even with a 40% water change due to my over breeding platies >_<. So i was hoping an aglae scrubber would help in the regard but i have a heavily planted tank at the same time. Or should i just keep dosing with Excel, it has helped or maybe look into getting a co2 system going?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0103.jpg
Views:	788
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	2302

Administrator
    A scrubber will remove the algae, but if you scrub too much it will hurt the plants. So it's best to start with few hours and then increase slowly.

Banned
    Aren't you suppose to keep nitrate at 15ish on a freshwater planted. Not sure how you can control that with a scrubber? Not a freshwater person myself, just a thought! Just think accelerating plant growth would achieve the same thing. May need to try a manual method of removal because if plants can grow then so can algae, easily.

Changed my mind abit>_>, would a uas work in my tank off my above tank lights to grow green aglae instead of black/ black brush algea that currently grows everywhere:P for my aglae eaters to eat->bristlenose plec and Otocinclus and maybe shrimps later on or would i need dedicated lights for it?
    What size aglae grower(scrubber) ;0 would a 547L(140gal), 10mL(less than a 1g dry weight :/) of dry flake/pellets each day and 4ish frozen cubes at 2g each every couple of days need for this to work?

Garf about the nitrate I have no idea, never read anything about it, until i read this :/ http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aq...st-levels.html. Mines still higher than that atm tho.
    Any other suggestions or info do i need to give? Should I just stop thinking about having an ats in heavy planted tank?:P

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information