+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about the size of the scrubber

Questions about the size of the scrubber

Hello I'm from Buenos Aires Argentina and my name is Gabriel. Know how this written excuse and I'm using the google translator. I have a tank of 1600 liters and design a scrubber 45 (W) x60 (H) ..
    My question is: is it the size of the scrubber?
    how many watts I have to use?, I had thought about using 6 18w tubes.
    note that the tank will have a heavy load of fish, invertebrates and corals.
    according to what I read were good proportions and wats ..
    Another thing to mention is that I slot scrubber to 0.5 cm
    from already thank you very much and I hope your answers

sorry this written form and will upload pictures soon

thank you very much
    Gabriel

Administrator
    Hi Gabriel,

45 X 60 = 2700 square cm, which if 2-sided is enough for 36 cubes of food per day. This requires at least 432 watts of fluorescent light (215 on each side). If you are not feeding at least 10 cubes of food per day, then the screen is too big.

Also a 0.5 cm slot = 5mm, is probably too big, and will require too much water. 3mm is better.

thank you very much Santamonica for the reply .. my question is: how big is advisable to make the screen? considering that the load I will introduce will be very heavy .. and how much watts is recommended?

from already thank you very much

gabriel

Administrator
    How much feeding...

the truth is still not the amount of food that I will use to feed the fish .. as todabia not running the tank .. screen that you advise me? considering that animals are not yet that I put in the tank ..

thank you very much in advance

gabriel

Administrator
    Need to know how much you will be feeding.

Banned
    Welcome to the site!

The screen sizing rule is 12 square inches / 77 square centimeters (length x width) for each cube of food fed per day. Each cube is roughly 1 cubic centimeter.

Lighting should be 1 watt per square inch (or 1 watt per 6.5 square centimeters) total (split between each side).

So for example if you want to feed 3 cubes/day, you would need 36 square inches (232 square centimeters) and 18 watts of light on each side (total of 36 watts).

You can use more light also - that is just the minimum. You can go up to twice that amount and then run the lights less hours per day.

gaby lapa regards,

look

New Scrubber Sizing Guideline (Sept 2011)

Scrubbers will now be sized according to feeding. Nutrients "in" (feeding) must equal nutrients "out" (scrubber growth), no matter how many gallons you have. So...

An example VERTICAL waterfall screen size is 3 X 4 inches = 12 square inches of screen (7.5 X 10 cm = 75 sq cm) with a total of 12 real watts (not equivalent) of fluorescent light for 18 hours a day. If all 12 watts are on one side, it is a 1-sided screen. If 6 watts are on each side, it is a 2-sided screen, but the total is still 12 watts for 18 hours a day. This screen size and wattage should be able to handle the following amounts of daily feeding:

1 frozen cube per day (2-sided screen), or
    1/2 frozen cube per day (1-sided screen), or
    10 pinches of flake food per day (2-sided screen), or
    5 pinches of flake food per day (1-sided screen), or
    10 square inches (60 sq cm) of nori per day (2-sided screen), or
    5 square inches (30 sq cm) of nori per day (1-sided screen), or
    0.1 dry ounce (2.8 grams) of pellet food per day (2-sided screen), or
    0.05 dry ounce (1.4 grams) of pellet food per day (1-sided screen)

High-wattage technique: Double the wattage, and cut the hours in half (to 9 per day). This will get brown screens to grow green much faster. Thus the example above would be 12 watts on each side, for a total of 24 watts, but for only 9 hours per day. If growth starts to turn YELLOW, then increase the flow, or add iron, or reduce the number of hours. And since the bulbs are operating for 9 hours instead of 18, they will last 6 months instead of 3 months.

HORIZONTAL screens: Multiply the screen size by 4, and the wattage by 1.5

Flow is 24 hours, and is at least 35 gph per inch of width of screen [60 lph per cm], EVEN IF one sided or horizontal.

Very rough screen made of roughed-up-like-a-cactus plastic canvas.

Clean algae off of screen every 7 to 14 days, so that you can see the white screen material.

Hi everyone, I here alot about adding iron to your system for greener scrubber growth. How much do i add to a 100 gallon system and also where can i purchase some.Thanks much to anyone.

Administrator
    If you are feeding nori, you probably don't need iron. Iron is only needed if the algae is growing bright yellow.

You can try Kent's Iron.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information