+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sump remodel

Banned
    I have always used my overflow to feed my ATS on my 75G tank, never once had an issue in the 3 years I have been using at ATS, actually, it has always worked better than using a dedicated pump for me. I only have 1 overflow line though, never tried it with 2 drain lines.

Then again, the pumps I have used have been less than stellar when I use a dedicated pump (ViaAqua, Magdrive, any other crappy pump I have laying around). All my dedicated pumps get clogged with algae if it is near the ATS and they all have trouble restarting after I unplug them. Your situation may be better since the pump is away from the ATS/light so it shouldn't clog with algae like mine do in this type of setup.

Old video when I first started testing LEDs showing how I remove my screen. You can hear the water rushing out of the slot from the overflow once the screen is removed.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wGllg25vvQ

Banned
    Also having a box to block the light from the sump/pump will help prevent algae buildup in/on both

I've done it both ways and find the drains work well. Using the non-slot method and Herbie drains works great as there is no change in flow as the algae grows and the drains are silent. I have two drains and feed the spray bar from both ends. A smaller screen might only need one.

You are correct in that feeding from a pump is convenient. For a large scrubber, you need a bigger pump and end up adding a lot of extra heat though, so I just eliminated the need by using the drains.

Banned
    Depends on the pump. I am finding out that the Eheim Compact and Compact+ pumps are very quiet and cool

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information