+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: new tank. scrubber only setup.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post

Scrubber-only cannot make an ultra-low nutrient system.
    Can we hear more on that ?

Bare bottom does not mean skimmer. You are correct . Using larger particles for a sand bed would be useful . I believe my shallow sand bed ( which I never siphon as I was told not to touch it) has hit saturation. I would rather just not have any sand and siphon detritus. The advantage of a barebottom tank allows us to control the nutrient levels in our tanks to our needs. I believe it is a tool I can utilize.

Banned
    Going bare bottom has the benefits of not becoming a nutrient sink and the glass bottom acts like a mirror if kept clean which bounces the light back up allowing more coral growth in a natural fashion. However, fine sand does not saturate in my experience due to micro faunal activity. Tried a regular arogonite sand many years ago and could not get the activity in the sand bed that I now get from my play sand silica bed. Never cleaned my sand in over 5 years.

Administrator
    You also don't need to siphon. Detritus breaks up and flows around.

Algae does not have the ULNS nutrient-pulling power that chemicals or bacterial have; algae has about the same nutrient-pulling power that corals have, because corals use algae too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information