+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turf scrubber and deep sand bed?

Turf scrubber and deep sand bed?

With my soon to be turf scrubber I know that the macro in my system will slowly die off. This would leave my upstairs fuge fairly barren. So do I still need a DSB? Is it still useful or should I just scrap the fuge/DSB tank and put something else in it?
    Thread with my current build of UAS: Here
    150g seahorse system:
    75g seahorse DT
    25g deep sand bed fuge and cheato tumbler
    55g sump
    40g fuge for pod production

Arduino based controller for dimmable LEDS and lights over fuges, heater/chiller, ATO and RO/DI production.
    Temps run between 70-73*F.

Photos of the horses and DT:http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t...mbo/Seahorses/

I would imagine the deep sand bed would keep nitrates to minimum after cleanings but I'm not sure it would be healthy enough if it had to compete with a scrubber. I would imagine it cant hurt anything and unless you wanted to use it for something else, why not just keep it. This is an interesting question and I'm sure sm or Floyd have some experience with it .

Following along to what they come up with.

Well it all started when my wife sad, "If all the macro is going to die, can we put something else in there?" So unless the DSB provides a valuable part of the system we figured we'd put something else in it.
    150g seahorse system:
    75g seahorse DT
    55g sump

Arduino based controller for dimmable LEDS and lights over fuges, heater/chiller, ATO and RO/DI production.

Photos of the horses and DT:http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t...mbo/Seahorses/

DSB can fail after after few years. You are probably best to fill it with live rock or such You could even leave it lit and put some live stock in it. Just my opinion.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Im a big fan of RDSB's, a simple plastic container plumbed in beside sump.... PRovides a consistent filtration base to accommodate the sometimes up and down performance of scrubbers.....after cleanings etc.... and being remote, they can be removed and replaced when and if they go sour.... IMO

Banned
    I have had various combinations of the same deep sand bed for 5 years and it still looks fresh. More types of filtration is the key I think.

dsb are amazing stable . provided you research and know how they work. What to do when cleaning them(or not ever) I believe that old tank syndrome comes from lack of flow.this is just my opinion of course. But most of the plenum systems I have seen that are succesful require quite a bit of flow in the right places. This is why i have never run one in the sump as i dont like a ton of flow coming from my returns. That is what powerheads, wave makers and closed loop systems are for. It is all in how you set them up and expect them to do.

Okay so it seems it's worth keeping the DSB. Here is my 2nd 'issue,' What to do with the cheato tumbler on the right? Ideally I'd love to remove the baffle and have a full tank DSB, but that would disturb the bed and likely be really not good for the system.

Assuming I leave the baffle, what would you guys do with the void? I'm considering maybe making a small mushroom garden and throwing a small block of LEDs over the right side.

150g seahorse system:
    75g seahorse DT
    55g sump

Administrator
    I've been favoring SSB's, since they can't really mess up if you stir them. However in DSB's you can add garden eels.

Just take the chaeto out.

Banned
    Can we see a close up pic of your sand bed please.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information