+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to algae scrubbers..

New to algae scrubbers..

Hi everyone.. My name is jeff and I'm new here.. Was directed over here from a friend and was wondering if I can get some help on making my first algae scrubber.. I apologize in advance for the numerous questions dumb or not..

So I have a 10 gallon tank.. Just started it but has passed the cycling process since I used some water/rock/sand from my other tank of 2 years.. So things I have on this tank are just basic corals and a bta no fish or other inverts.. Equipment are hydor koralia nano 240 for flow, aquaclear hob filter with a hydor heater..

Was wondering can u make a algae scrubber for a tank without an overflow or sump/refugium? If yes how?

My plan is to make a mini acryilic tank that will go on the side of my 10gallon gonna make it the same height/length as the 10 gallon tank probably and make the width bout 6 or 8 inches enough to put the scrubber, pump and led fixture... Pls give me some of ur guys expert advice.. Had algae issues in my other two tanks and would like to avoid having the same issues with this tank..

Thanks
    Jeff

Administrator
    Welcome.

Sounds like a good situation for a UAS...
    http://algaescrubber.net/forums/foru...Scrubber-(UAS)

Don't know how handy capable you are. But that HOB would work good if you know how to rig up LEDs. You can make a screen to place where the filter media goes and put the LEDs in front and back of it lighting both sides of the screen. I think that would work.

I have seen another DIY using a HOB and a screen placed on the waterfall section return using the light from the display. It's lit only from one side but seemed to do well for the guy. I believe it was on a 5 gallon set up. Do a search. It was on here.

It's OT but is that koralia 240 enough flow? I just built a 15" cube (~12g) and was going to get the 425, but I based my decision on no information whatsoever.

I tried one 425 in my 10G and its to much, so I have two 240's in the 10G reef and one in the 10G pod tank. In the reef tank one makes surface current and the second is aimed behind the rock then flows around to the front. The surface and substrate flows are in opposite directions.
    Here is my HOB I threw together: http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...rry-s-UAS-test .
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Nice to see that design. I won't and can't take credit for it. I mentioned that design a while back. I'm still waiting to see you(Crazy DIYers) to make one out of a skimmer.
    Why hasn't anyone used a Peltier to cool thier heat sinks yet?

I thought about using one but, figured I would still need to heat sink the heat side so decided not to so far. Its about a 1 amp draw so it would need something I think.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information