+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help with ats

Need help with ats

I've been running my scrubber for about 6 weeks. It's 7x7 in screen with 23w bulb on each side. Lights are about 4 in away from screen. I have growth but it's really dark. It's a waterfall type. I'm using a rio 2100 pump to run the scrubber so I have enough flow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Banned
    Clean every 7 days. Will get better and better. Pics would be nice ( fairly new to this myself ).

I can't figure out how to upload pics from my phone. Little more info..... My phosphate reading was 1.6 so I used som Gfo to bring it down. Its now .5 and my nitrates are 30.

Administrator
    High nutrients need really strong light until the nutrients come come down. Try doubling the wattage.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    High nutrients need really strong light until the nutrients come come down. Try doubling the wattage.
    Ty SM for the quick response. I will try that and let you know how it goes.

Banned
    Also consider that when the GFO takes the P down to zero, N will stop getting absorbed. Algae absorbs N:P at roughly 13:1 or something like that. So if you have 30 N and 0.5 P your N uptake could stop about 20 and stall out. I personally would let the scrubber ramp up with at least some phosphate in the water (don't bring it to zero) and then if you have 0 N and some P left run a very small amount of GFO, if you even need any.

Nitrate limitation is the most common thing I have seen (where N=0 and P does not drop) because of the natural tendency of LR/LS to denitrify, throwing off the algae growth.

Thanks Floyd. I take out the Gfo and let the scrubber do its job...

Just put on new 45 watt cfl and new 8 1/2 in reflectors. I also got a new screen roughed it up real good and seeded it with the algea from the old screen. Should know in a cpl of days how it's going to grow.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information