+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cloudy water

Cloudy water

Hello everyone,
    2 weeks in after completing a quick cycle and my waterfall scrubber is growing green algae (it's awesome). Two fish in my 55 gallon tank (clown and Cromis) and everything looks good except cloudy water and some brown algae hanging on in display tank. My questions are:
    1. What is the best way to clear the water without taking nutrients from my scrubber
    2. Want to add my clean up crew (just snails first), and looking at reefcleaners.org. With a scrubber I am assuming I would need less snails than with a traditional set up. I am thinking about half the snails reef cleaners recommends anyone have an opinion? I am heading toward a mixed reef setup if that info is helpful.

Banned
    Cloudy water, new set-up, short cycle. To me this points to ammonia driven bacterial bloom. Are you sure it is cycled. How did you start the cycle ? Picture would be good.

I never have a cycle nutrient spike when I start a tank with a scrubber but I always get the brown algae bloom that lasts until the screen goes green. The cloudiness should go away in a few days. You could run a filter sock for a few hours a day to see if that helps but be sure your corals get fed before using a sock.
    I can only keep a snail or two with my scrubber tanks other wise they die off slowly. I have a hand full of hermits and shrimps in my tanks that do a good job. My Bristol worm night crew does a good job to.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Yes
    Its brown algae I thought it was dying then it's made a little come back, but there is a little green as well. Screen is half green and becoming more green by the day. Lights in main tank are running 13 hours a day with a luner cycle as well, is this too much? Want to run a little carbon temporarily to clear the water what does everyone think? Water test are as follows: ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5 ppm. Thanks for the snail information I plan to add shrimp soon and will try a few snails. As far as how I cycled Dr Tim's nitrifying bacteria and 1 clownfish. I will add photo tommorrow.

Hi friends.
    I read out all your reviews and i am agreed with your all reviews you are all sharing good reviews with us.
    I get increase my knowledge after read out your reviews.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information