+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2x23 watt CFL design

2x23 watt CFL design

2x23 watt CFL design

I'm new here, hello.

I've read the basics and the new mesh sizes, and come up with a plan. My plan is to use a 23 watt CFL on each side of a 9.5 x 5" sheet of mesh with a pump that I just measured at 180 gph. My understanding is these three numbers add up. The 180 gph pump divided by 35 gph per inch of mesh equals just over 5". 46 watts of lighting equals 46 square inches of mesh. 46 square inches divided by 5" equals just over 9", so the mesh is 9.5 x 5". This ATS should handle 1 cube of food per 12 square inches, equals 3.8 cubes. Do I have the math right?

I have another bulb to add to the close side, but here it is:

Administrator
    Welcome.

Yes you have the math right. However... A 23 watt CFL bulb needs to be within about 3" of the screen at the farthest, or else it's too weak. Your pic looks like the bulb is at the top, which means the top would burn, and the bottom would not grow enough. Might just be the pic, though.

Generally, the reflectors should be the same size as the screen. If you can't get a 9" oblong reflector down on to each side of the screen, then I'd say the current design will be about half as effective as planned. Still not bad though.

Thanks for your help Santa Monica. I couldn't fit the reflectors inside the sump, so I devised a new plan to use CFL twisters instead of the CFL floodlamps. I found some sockets that are designed to stick in the ground for floodlamps around the yard (so they are weather resistant outdoor quality), and I can remove the stick part and hang these by the cord from the shelf above. This will allow the CFL twister bulbs to hang vertically and parallel to the screen.

Administrator
    Or just use spirals with side reflectors.

Yeah, the plan is to put a reflector onto the side of that socket. Otherwise, the only side reflectors I could find were shop treble lights.

A pop or beer can works to.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

I didn't think of that...I was going to use steel ducting (that will probably rust fairly soon).

Administrator

Oooh, thanks! I haven't come across that pic yet. I suppose I could buy the extra big beer cans and get a good sized reflector out of it. That's brilliant.

Beer cans in preference to pop cans. They are bigger and lots more fun to empty.

Dennis

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information