+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Heres my scrubber pics

Heres my scrubber pics

I made up a scrubber and once I knew it worked I remade it and put in the tank I was using as a refugium
    I don't keep it as clean as I should and I think I need a bigger pump as I am getting cyano and I don't think it is from the lights, I think it is just a bit too little flow.
    These pics are showing the screen holders and I have changed the manifold a bit.

I have changed the manifold so now I have a bulb in between the screens so I light 3 sides.
    I am still getting a very dense and dark algae growth and my nirates are sitting at 25ppm. But Po4 is 0 and I have a large pod population.
    I find it has made it a little harder to keep PH up. Maybe it is just that I have no air in the water to release gases.
    There is still a little algae in the display tank but stuff all and I will pick up lower K bulbs today 3000k range as I have 6500at the moment.
    Here is a pic of the tank.

I have almost lost the bright green sps in the middle at the top and another I think from lighting and clear water. :cry:
    Hi all I am a member of NZMAS and have had my tank running since March 08 and a scrubber on it since 13th of February 09

Re: Heres my scrubber pics

Hi Craig,
    Welcome to the site!
    I can't see from the photos there, have you got lights on both sides of the screen?

Administrator

It's lit from all sides now.

Yes you have enough light... if you have cyano, then it's too little flow. Have you cleaned every 7 days no matter what? If you are getting dark growth you need to clean even more often until it becomes lighter.

Low pH is probably from excess organics rotting in the water (which is also causing your nitrates). And this also would make sense if you have low flow, since your scrubber would be less efficient. So increase the flow on the scrubber and it will help everything.

The sps you are losing is probably from the high nutrients, so get the nutrients down.

Lastly, it looks like you have a screen over your overflow. If you can remove it, do so; it is just trapping waste that could be circulating to feed your corals and small fish. You should also not have an foam/floss/socks anywhere in the system.

Thanks guys
    The overflow has a gutter guard mesh on it to stop my fish etc going into the overflow it has little restriction if any.
    I might reduce the slot length to increase the flow over more of the screen as I don't have another pump and see if that works.
    I occassionally put a bit of floss over the return pump to trap the floating dirt.
    I only have 3 sides of the screens lit at this stage.
    And the tank water is very clear.

I will change a bit of water to reduce nirates and try to increase the flow on the screens.
    Hi all I am a member of NZMAS and have had my tank running since March 08 and a scrubber on it since 13th of February 09

Administrator

Remember that they stuff that floss traps is food. It's better to let the food circulate to the corals.

Also, these reflectors would help focus your light:
    http://www.hydroleaf.com/categoryview.do?cat_id=107

I am not able to get to that link SM it just comes up with internal server error.

I may be able to sort a reflector for the front outter light but the one between the screens should be ok and the rear one when I get one might just need a curved flat reflector that hangs
    Did a couple of large water changes over the last week and got the nirates down to 5-7ppm
    I had started to get lazy with the water changes a bit because of other reasons :roll:
    Zooxanthellae colour is starting to return to a couple of corals and I hope it is not to late for the emerald green sps at the back it only has a small amount of flesh still on it. :?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information