+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Scrubber - No Green Algae

New Scrubber - No Green Algae

Hi, having grappled with green hair algae in my display tank for almost 2 years, I've decided to shift from skimming to turf scrubbing on the advice of a few others who have made the same shift. Feels like a last ditch attempt to get my tank under control and in balance properly.

So - I'd appreciate some help from forum members. I've had my scrubber running for 6 weeks now and most of that time, I've been getting black/brown sludge-type growth. Nothing green or thick yet. Is this just a case of waiting longer for the green stuff to grow of should I be changing anything? I've attached some pics of the latest growth...

My systems specs are:-

240L display tank with Eco-Lamps KR93 LED lighting unit. Lighting running from 13:00 - 22:30 (phased moonlight - daylight - moonlight).

Turf scrubber has 31x12cm (12"x5") screen. Fed by 2000 kph (454Gph) pump flow. Lights are 3x8w t5 (3000k) (total 24w) each side of screen (ie both sides lit) with lights approx 4cm (1.5") from the screen.

Thanks for your help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg‎
Views:	224
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	2541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 2.jpg‎
Views:	237
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	2538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 1.jpg‎
Views:	208
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	2539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpg‎
Views:	208
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	2540  

Administrator
    Dark growth is always too-little light.

5 X 12 = 60 square inches = needs at least 60 watts light. You have 24.

Thanks Santa Monica - appreciate the quick reply.

Can I just check that I've understood lighting requirements correctly. You're saying I need min 60W lighting - is that per side or min 30W per side of the screen? I have 24W per side currently.

If that's too low, what lights do you suggest (I'm using T5 units currently so would prefer to stick with those fittings if possible).

Thanks for your help.

Banned
    Noticed you were hanging around on th UK algae scrubbers site and thought I would give you a nudge in this direction. As I remember, this was originally posted 5 weeks ago and you got no response. So, after 11 weeks is the growth the same as in the photo' ? Looks like you may also be getting flow problems from the slot, is it a drilled slot ? You could shade the slot to prevent algae growing down from the slot.

Thanks for your 'nudge' - suddenly getting responses now I'm on this forum!!

The growth is pretty much the same - the pic on the left was taken last week and the others about 5 weeks ago - so it's still pretty dark and slimy.

Not sure what you mean by a 'drilled slot' (or what 'shading' might mean) - perhaps you could advise.

The slot was cut with a dremel-type tool I believe (I bought it ready-made from a supplier in UK so assumed it was good to go!!)

Thanks

Banned
    For "shading the slot" I mean preventing light getting to the screen where it enters the slot. This reduces the amount of algae growing in the slot and helps prevent flow restriction from the rest of the screen. For mine I have used Perspex bent to form a "U" shape, then taped it up to prevent light going through. This is then placed ontop of the pipe, therefore shading the length of the slot from a lot of the light. There are other methods though.

For my "drilled slot" comment, as long as your slot is clean and straight it should be OK.

Administrator
    Ok 2 X 24 = 48 which is better, but still needs at least 60, and more for high-nutrient or high-feeding systems.

Quick solution, cut the screen vertically to make it smaller, and tape off the slot.

OK - I'll give that a try. What width do you suggest cutting out?

Appreciate the help.

Banned
    How much are you feeding. 1 cube of food a day should be 12 square inches, not 12 inches squared.
    If your lighting is the standard tube type, you're better off chopping some off the drop otherwise you'll lose the light increase per surface area. A pic of your display would be good.

Thanks Garf,

I tend to alternate food - flake or pellet one day followed by 2 cubes the next.

I've attached a couple of pics of the tank (you'll see the algae and rear wall growth) - a bit light on corals so far as I don't want to put any more in until hair algae is under control.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	2546Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	2547Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	36.5 KB