+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: HOG.5

In another thread, someone was talking about building a much bigger version of the HOG.5. Santa Monica suggested that it has two screen instead of one so that when you clean it you will not have a spike in nutrients.

Do you get a spike when you clean the HOB.5 in a smaller tank (l28 g. cube)? If so, would it be good to leave a little algae on the screen instead of cleaning it all off to avoid this?

Administrator
    Any single scrubber and heavy feeding will get a spike. The HOG.5 is too small to clean half; easier to get a second one and clean one each week.

Administrator
    Finally a pic of the black aquarium silicone that we are using now to seal the magnets...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	HOG.5-magnet-silicone.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	3749

... also we've learned how to line up the magnets exactly before the glue sets; this really increases the holding power on the glass.

HOG.5 Rusty Magnets...is this issue, how to fix or inexpensive replacement???

Someone gave me there HOG.5 (really cool of him) but the magnets are rusty on the screen cover. I tried to brush it off but could not quite get it all off. Is this rust a problem for the tank or inhabitants?

Can I just put some super glue gel, silicone, etc. over the rusty magnets to seal them from the water?

Where can I buy inexpensive magnets to replace them if I need to replace them?

Also, the 5 magnets are missing from one of the corners and one magnet is missing from another corner. Is it likely to work like this OR should I try to borrow one magnet from each corner so there are at least 4 magnets in each corner.

Thanks, Doug

Administrator
    You should silicone them like we are doing now with the new ones.

There are no inexpensive magnets. Try what you can to get it to work.

Do you think it will give enough holding power for 10mm glass now, or will we still need the suction cup version?

Administrator
    10mm... 3/8 inch. Maybe. If there is not too much electric cord hanging, and not too much pulling on the airline, it would help. We are getting much better at lining up the magnets and some of them are pretty strong.

Best bet is to have a backup use for it, in case it won't hold. Or add more magnets. Or wait several months for a bigger version.

HOG.5 model with 2 LEDs. How many watts are LEDs? How long should I leave lights on?

I know the new HOG.5 has one 3 watt light. Someone gave me a HOG.5 (really cool of him) but it is a model with 2 LED lights.

How powerful are each of these LEDs?

How long should I leave this model on per day at first? I know the 1 LED 3-watt version should be on 8 hours per day at first.

I'm using it on a Nano Cube 28 in the main. After I can get good growth, I'm going to try to modify it to work in the back compartment of the nano cube.

Thanks

Administrator
    Here is all you need to know ...
    http://algaescrubber.net/HOG.5-Instructions.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Here is all you need to know ...
    http://algaescrubber.net/HOG.5-Instructions.pdf
    Santa Monica.....thank for your reply. I had read the instructions a while ago and did not remember that was in there. If folks are wondering, the instructions say the "LEDs use 7 watts of power."

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information