+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: HOG.5

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Less hours. Keep the screen against the back cover. Get lots of flow through it. Add iron. Let grow more days.
    Iron, huh. I just read some interesting articles about dosing with iron being helpful, especially if you are growing macro algae (which I do have some in my tank....red grape, codium, and dragon's breath).

I'm having a hard time finding good information on what to use for dosing and how much. What do you recommend?

One good source said you could use Flourish Iron (for freshwater....but I happen to have some of this).

Administrator
    Should be ok. I used Kent's Iron+Manganese

Now I know Iron can help macroalgae grow, ok thanks SM

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Glad you like the HOG.5. If you move the unit farther down the glass, it should be more quiet. Also, turning down the airflow makes it quieter too, although you have to balance this with the need to get bubbles across most of the screen.

Has anybody tried using the HOG5 with a little water pump instead of an airpump yet? If not, then I'm going to!

I've been using two HOG5's for 6 months now. The noise from the bubbles and air pump still drives me bonkers. I just can't get used to it. It's louder then my giant Bubble Magus skimmer with dual pumps!

Speaking of which. I understand that the function of the bubbles is to supply CO2 to the algae. But what if I'm still skimming with bit fat oversized skimmer? Wouldn't the skimmer saturate the water with CO2 from the surrounding air? Enabling me to run that water through the two HOG5's?

And where do the algae that we could get in the display tank get their CO2 from? They don't get any bubbles rubbed against them either, and still many people manage to grow them like crazy in their display tanks.

A different issue that I'm having is the magnets. The black paint has totally vanished and the magnets themselves are slowly but steadily disolving. It seems like this hasn't caused an issue for my livestock yet, but it can't be healthy for them either. Moreover, I'm worried what the magnetic particles will do to my pumps.

I'm having good results from these scrubbers though!!

Administrator
    The HOG.5 is designed to be low cost, not low-noise. Low-noise would be much more costly because of the more elaborate case. Also, you can adjust the sound by moving the flexible segments of the airline, and by reducing the air pump flow, and by moving the unit higher or lower.

The bubbles must rub the screen or the algae will not reach the "dry" parts inside the bubbles, and also, the algae will not get the turbulence of going from air to water to air, which removes the boundary layer around the algae and allow better matabolite transfer. The bubbles from a skimmer do not touch the algae, therefore the CO2 in the skimmer bubbles does not help.

Algae in the display grow very very slowly. They cannot multiply ten-fold like algae in a scrubber, over night, going from an almost invisible layer to a nice visible layer. If algae in the display could even double over night, in a week the display would be full up to the waterline with it.

The magnets have long since been coated and sealed by black silicone. All you need to do is seal them and they will be good for a long time.

Glad they are scrubbing well for you

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    A different issue that I'm having is the magnets. The black paint has totally vanished and the magnets themselves are slowly but steadily disolving. It seems like this hasn't caused an issue for my livestock yet, but it can't be healthy for them either. Moreover, I'm worried what the magnetic particles will do to my pumps.
    This is of major concern to the reef aquaria. You do not want these magnets to be exposed to the water. They need to be sealed.

Should I clean the screen yet? Reduce light? See photo day 10 after first cleaning???

I have a 28 g. nano cube with a HOG.5.

Here is my screen 10 days after the first cleaning. I waited 30 days to clean the first time. Currently, my light runs 16 hours.

Should I clean the screen yet? Should I reduce the light some? See photo below.

Thanks, Doug

Click image for larger version

Name:	UAS day 40, 10 days after 1st clean.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	4004

Administrator
    Yes brush it with a toothbrush, including the cover.

Just tried to install my 2 units from Santa Monica and was very disappointed. The others were right- the magnets are way too weak. The units just slid down the glass and fell off. guess I need to figure out how to get them to stay put....

Administrator
    What is the glass thickness?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information