+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: HOG.5

It's just regular glass thickness. It's a tank we got from petco about 15 years ago. However, I tried it in my 'fuge too, and that's plexiglass and it didn't hold there either. I'll be sending my two back for the exchange of the HOG 1. Hopefully that one will be stronger.
    Thanks!

Santa, I sent back the two units today as was requested by the company. Hopefully, they will get them and send me the HOG 1 ASAP!

Administrator
    Got 'em!

It was what I thought... you had switched the units... the lights from unit "A" were on the screen for unit "B", and vise versa. Since they were pre-matched here, they won't hold if they are unmatched. When I switched them back, they were super strong

Anyway, I'll be sending out the HOG1 today.

I actually tried both of them to see if one unit's magnets worked better, but still no go. Still, I can't wait for the HOG 1!!
    Thanks!!

Administrator
    Well also, even if they are on the correct unit, they have to be correct-side-up

So, anyone else getting multiple HOG.5 units... be sure to keep matched pairs together.

5 month HOG.5 with still limited growth? Ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	UAS 6-7-13.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	4400I have a HOG.5 (old style with 2 leds) on my nano cube 28 mixed reef. Light running 16 hours; it was burning with more. Attached is a photo after 17 days since cleaning. I've been rubbing the scrubber for 5 months now. I'm not getting growth like I've seen on other UAS or scrubbers. Any ideas of what to do?

My phoshate is usually good 0.02--0.04 (Hanna phoshourous meter) and nitate is low 0.2-0.4 (Salifert) but I'm still having problems with algae and cyno. My only other filtration is floss, purigan, carbon and live rock.

Administrator
    Try going 3 weeks before cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by duganderson View Post
    Attachment 4400I have a HOG.5 (old style with 2 leds) on my nano cube 28 mixed reef. Light running 16 hours; it was burning with more. Attached is a photo after 17 days since cleaning. I've been rubbing the scrubber for 5 months now. I'm not getting growth like I've seen on other UAS or scrubbers. Any ideas of what to do?

My phoshate is usually good 0.02--0.04 (Hanna phoshourous meter) and nitate is low 0.2-0.4 (Salifert) but I'm still having problems with algae and cyno. My only other filtration is floss, purigan, carbon and live rock.
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Try going 3 weeks before cleaning.
    I've let it go three weeks recently and it did not seem to help. I had a few follow up questions.....

1. Is it true that placing the top of the HOG.5 just above the water line helps the water recirculating inside it, allowing the nutrients to be pulled down artificially low inside it, which allows green to grow. If this is true, should I try this????

2. In order to mount the HOG.5 slightly above the water line, I would need to modify it slightly to fit in the compartment for the media racks AND I would have to remove my floss and chemical media. Would a better functioning scrubber be worth losing my floss and media options?

3. The growth I get is mostly SLIMY dark green algae and red turf like algae. The red turf is the main problem algae I get in the tank. Is the slimy or turf algae interfering with the growth of desirable green algae? If so, is there anything I can do about this?

Thanks

Administrator
    1. Yes it works that way but yours is not growing black.

2. You can try it.

3. All that stuff should be brushed off during cleaning, including off the black shell and between the holes. so that white screen remains.

Quote Originally Posted by duganderson View Post
    Attachment 4400I have a HOG.5 (old style with 2 leds) on my nano cube 28 mixed reef. Light running 16 hours; it was burning with more. Attached is a photo after 17 days since cleaning. I've been rubbing the scrubber for 5 months now. I'm not getting growth like I've seen on other UAS or scrubbers. Any ideas of what to do?

Thanks for the responses. One more question......based on what your seeing on the picture, should I increase or lower my bubble rate? I have an adjustable bubbler.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information