+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: HOG.5

Very nice! You will be able to sell a lot of a filter like this.. Super easy to install and unobtrusive.

Hey SM

great new scrubber must admit you keep amazing me with the new twists you bring about every time

two questions:

1- in the video i noticed some plants in the aquarium...are those real plants and if yes, what kind of impact did the scrubber have on them?
    2- for salt water, are screen dimensions still same (proportional to feeding quantities) or are there any changes?

Administrator
    Glad you are liking the designs.

They are fake plants.

Size is the same for SW, based only on feeding.

Ok, I just bought one of these after figuring out that I couldn't build anything similar or cheaper. I am interested in seeing how this will work for my nutrient rich 55 gallon that maybe receives a maximum of 0.5 cubes a day but it is usually like 0.3 or so. I have a HOB skimmer that will require some effort to install on my tank but I want to see how this will work first.

Well, I just ordered too! I was on the fence about the HOG.5 and a DIY and decided to order from SM due to his expertise. Because the UAS concept is in its early stages, I realize that future versions will incorporate enhanced perormance and features. The HOG.5 made sense for me as a first experience with scrubbers in general. I sincerely hope that it helps to resolve my ongoing algae issues. I also hope other early adopters post their experience (good or bad), so that others may benefit.

Wow I didn't know you just sliced the airline! Where is my razor blade!

A word on making bubbles with air tube as I did this last night for my DIY HOG. I used a bowl in the sink with my air pump to test this, but I started off by taking small chunks out of the tube. This resulted in all of the bubbles coming from the first hole--no good, I cut that section off and tried again. This time I just punctured it with a steak knife... it came out of the most-punctured hole, but not the others. It took me about 5 minutes of tweaking, but I systematically made the puncture holes just a little larger until I had what I was looking for. The idea I guess is to puncture it just enough so that air could move past the holes if the end wasn't plugged, but when it is plugged the air forces itself out of the tiny holes.

Anybody considering this project would probably figure it out anyhow, but maybe this will save somebody a little bit of time.

Just a quick update. Received and installed my SantaMonica HOG.5 today. Really hoping it helps my ongoing hair algae issue. I have been running GFO and performing 3 gal. water changes every week. Should I continue the changes and GFO? The HOG.5 seems well made. I am not too crazy about the sliced up airline tubing though. Played with it quite awhile trying to get the bubbles even across the screen. I was wondering if there is enough water flow since the only holes are on the bottom with one more at the top to vent the bubbles.

Administrator
    A lot of water gets through the sides. Enough so, that the growth has never been nutrient starved. It won't generate much flow in the display, of course. The main goal was to keep bubbles and light inside. If you want you can add a few small holes on the side.

You can rub a little algae on the screen to get it going if you want. You can also stop the water changes and gfo; should be growing in a week or so.

The sliced tubing is the (hopeful) answer to low cost, non-clogging, adjustable, replaceable, and diy-friendly. Growth still occurs on the tube, but brushes right off. Also, tilting the unit will help distribute the bubbles. But the bubbles don't have the be perfect; as with a waterfall, the growth will re-route the flow anyway.

Start your thread... will be nice to see.

Just a quick thanks SM for all you do for the aquarium community! Your obvious passion for the hobby in general and more specifically the area of filtration is really inspirational. Hell, I don't even know if this little black box is going to work, yet I am still excited.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information