+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: HOG.5

Thanks for the heads-up. Good news is my sump started working again this morning, I got really lucky lol so they will stay in the sump.

Because I ran them from 7pm-1pm (overnight 18 hours) I was wondering if I should cover the little holes on top of the unit during the daylight hours (when it's off) so the inside can be completely dark. Or maybe the little light that gets thru the holes is not enough to bother the algae growth? I'm referring to the natural light in the room. Or maybe I should just run them during the day and have them off 8 hours at night to avoid any light getting in there <- this seems like the best solution.

Administrator
    No need to cover.

Does not matter when you run it.

Hey Santa Monica,

My scrubber has been on my tank for approximately 10 days and the screen hasn't grown anything with 18 hours of lighting. Additionally, I am having trouble getting an even distribution of bubbles across the airline; they all seem to come out of a pronounced hole on the right side of the tubing. I have tried pushing and pulling the cut segments but it doesn't seem to help. I am using a Tetra whisper 20 that I think produces 1.5 lpm. I am worried that the copious amount of hair and halimeda might be absorbing nutrients and preventing any growth on the screen. I feed about .5 cubes every other day and I usually insert a 6 square inch section of nori in my tank a couple times a week. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Administrator
    Tuck the section of cut airline under another section, so it closes off the air. Then see how the bubbles are. Also you can tilt the unit to even the flow.

The nuisance algae is not doing anything really.

I will try doing that but I think that the section is glued down. It is part of the cut slits but it seems a little wider than the rest only allowing air bubbles on the right side of the unit (if the open side of the unit is facing you). I might try plugging it up with some super glue if other fixes don't work. Tilting does seem to work. Would a more powerful air pump solve the issue? Does it take a while for algae to grow in some tanks or is it due to this bubble issue?

Administrator
    You tuck one segment under another. Also you can sqeeze them together with pliers. More air would help, but it does not have to be perfect. You should have growth already on sections of the screen with bubbles.

I just ordered the HOG5. Brilliant idea!! How much airflow is supposed to be provided to the unit?

Administrator
    Up to 1 lpm.

^ I use a single whisper 150 to power 2 of these (t-valve) and there seems to be a nice amount of bubbles rubbing against the screen continuously on both units. There is a thread with the specific recommended amount of airflow here http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...or-UAS-bubbler

I have another question... I placed my two scrubbers right before the return pump in the sump... after all the filter media including poly-filter and purigen. Will this affect the performance of the scrubber as opposed to being in the display tank? Also I removed the GFO (had undetectable phosphates) and started feeding more. Won't do any water change this week except topping off evaporation with rodi water.

Administrator
    Does not matter where it goes.

Only the GFO would have affected it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information