+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: HOG.5

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    All that stuff should be brushed off during cleaning, including off the black shell and between the holes. so that white screen remains.
    I have not been able to get all of the red turf off, especially between the holes. I'll poke something between the holes to clean it up better and see if that helps.

Administrator
    Keep the bubbles the same.

Try a very firm toothbrush.

I want to move my HOG.5 to my back compartment of my nano cube 28. The LED half of the HOG.5 will be duct taped or mounted to the outside back glass. The inside portion of the HOG.5 will be mounted to the back of the clear acrylic 'In-Tank' media basket facing the back of the tank (it will need to be modified somewhat to fit). There will be about 1/2 to 3/4 inch of water between the the back glass and the media basket.

If I have an additional 1/2--3/4 inch space of water between the 2 halves of the HOG.5 AND an additional thin sheet of acrylic between the two halves, do you think the light will be strong enough to grow algae well? I have the old HOG.5 with two leds?

If this work, I'll post pictures and give updates.

Administrator
    I think the extra acrylic might block too much of the light when it grows.

Banned
    We're talking a few mm of acrylic here. Not an issue. Acrylic has a high transmission ratio, better than glass. The difference between 1/4" and 1/2" is negligible, even up to 1" is still not that different

Administrator
    But the extra growth on the 2 extra surfaces is.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    But the extra growth on the 2 extra surfaces is.
    That's a good point. If I try this, I'll plan to monitor the growth on the inside glass and acrylic and possibly plan to brush it clean a couple times a week if necessary.

Santa Monica, Floyd Turbo or others......will I lose a lot of light strength going through the additional 1/2 to 3/4 inches of water between the back glass and the acrylic.

Thanks

Administrator
    Probably not; it's the growth that blocks the light.

Quote Originally Posted by duganderson View Post
    I want to move my HOG.5 to my back compartment of my nano cube 28. The LED half of the HOG.5 will be mounted to the outside back glass. The inside portion of the HOG.5 will be mounted to the back of the clear acrylic 'In-Tank' media basket facing the back of the tank (it will need to be modified somewhat to fit).
    Any ideas or suggestions for mounting the LED side of HOG.5 to the back glass without magnets?

Do I need to be careful about what what I tape or glue to the outside of this due to overheating?

Administrator
    Just tape it. Or get the suction cups from the shopping cart site. Won't over heat.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information