+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High Power Leds

Banned
    No I meant $1.25 more than SatisLEDs

I guess I wanted to read them at that good of a deal!!! LOL. Did you see the groupled post about their special on 660's?
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Banned
    you mean LED Group Buy? They look like they come on the same crappy stars that SatisLED ones come one. Works OK if you use thermal epoxy I suppose and for many DIYers they're probably just fine, but since I build for others I decided I'm only using the best parts. As for the LEd chip itself, they just say "exotic" which could mean they come from anywhere. Like you have said though, you've had very little problems so they're probably OK I just choose the Rapid ones instead. I like to use the thermal pads and the Rapid stars are always perfectly flat vs the cheap ones where 1 in 20 have to be sanded down and I don't find out about that until I put them on the pad and they 'wiggle' and then I waste a pad.

I have got the satisLED and they appear to not be as good of a board as the ones I get from the topled on ebay. When I was talking about the board I thought you were referring to the solder side of it. I have seen a few of the topled units with the solder pad in need of a little more careful solder job. I also use only the thermal pads as well. I did notice a couple of the satisLED that had like a warped board almost like the cutout die bent it a bit.
    I have made a couple Display lights for the locals and I didn't use the china ones either. I like the idea of the Phillips brand and want to get some for the next round.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

After the summer i am going to start an new nano reef ( about 42 gallon), so i am still looking for a diy led project for this tank.
    The tank is a open glass aquarium with no canopy, so one of my biggest consern is that i must avoid to mutch light reflections in to the livingroom where the aquarium is placed.

It is two alternativet that i have in mind:

Alternative 1 : http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...owtopic=267432

Alternative 2 : http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-50W-Acti...item19d27e6c34

With this heatsink: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-White-10...item2c66a6b577

I am concerned about alternative 2 will give too mutch reflections to the livingroom and that one small 50w light source will be too intense and problems with covering th whole tank. (the tank is 80 centimeter long). A noisy fan foor cooling the led/heatsink is also one of my concerns.

Here is a guy that have replaced his 250w HQI with 100w led:
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop...T_6LiNfM&gl=DE

Any thoughts ?

Jnad

The only way to avoid fan is to use multiple smaller chips on oversized heatsink. Not a big deal for your size tank.
    I cant find right place to buy heatsinks in Eu though.

The dealer of this heatsink claims this one will give suffcient cooling for one 10w led with no fan:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/10W-LED-Alum...#ht_3642wt_689

Quote Originally Posted by kotlec View Post
    The only way to avoid fan is to use multiple smaller chips on oversized heatsink. Not a big deal for your size tank.
    I cant find right place to buy heatsinks in Eu though.

You always can try to see if claims are troothfull. If you have good conditioning in your room for summer time - these can work.

Hmm, i think i would need about 5 of these 10w leds over my 42 gallon nanoreef. Alternative 1 is cheaper and the gu10's seems to work very well when reading the tread, just have reading though the 70 pages

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information