+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brown SPS one more time

Garf , thanks for response . My attempt to eliminate alien growth via adding iron wasnt succesful at all. Growth did not changed , but instead I got algae in display, that I never had before. I was trying to use difuser to spread LED light somehow. That made no effect as well. May be reducing hours will help. I reprogramed my controller already . Will see next week if growth becomes more usual .
    Regarding micro fauna that is very good guess . I completely agree with you.
    I do all my best to maintain stable Ca and Alk. But having that many animals in small tank is very hard. They consume Ca and Alk at such amounts , that it is difficult to adjust doses to their needs. I bought dosing pump for that reson. I hope I will have final settings for it and will get more stable params.
    What would you recommend to reestablish micro fauna population ?

Administrator
    My cal goes between 250 and 550. My alk goes between 7 and 14. My pH goes between 7.9 and 9.0

Two more point that I remembered :
    1. When tank was just setup, coraline was growing nicely. There were no SPS at that time so nothing to tell about browning.
    2. When tank was just setup, there were tons of small podds swimming around as I used some water from friends refugium. Now I can see none except few micro shrimp that are trapped in filter floss sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    My cal goes between 250 and 550. My alk goes between 7 and 14. My pH goes between 7.9 and 9.0
    By all "assumed" standards. Your tank should be a barren wasteland. What's the time line on those swings?

Thought may be fresh picture will bring up some fresh thoughts

Banned
    Kotlec - Tank looks great. You may be being a little too critical on this masterpiece.

Thanks Garf.
    Colored SPSes would make it even nicer

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    I dont have this much of a swing but I do have swing. Ca is pretty stable but, the Alk can bounce between 8-10 in a slow climb or slow fall in a week or two time line so its not sudden but its not what I would call stable. Most of this is due to the algae sucking up the alk toward the end of the two week run before cleaning, then after the cleaning it slowly rises until the screen gets thick.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

Quote Originally Posted by kerry View Post
    Most of this is due to the algae sucking up the alk toward the end of the two week run before cleaning, then after the cleaning it slowly rises until the screen gets thick.
    That very well explains why I can't find ideal setting for my dosing pump !!! Most instability was in alk zone. Now I will look more in to screen cleaning cycle.
    Thanks Kerry for brilliant idea !

If I clean every 5-7 days my Alk stays more stable. Also I dont clean the screen so well that its white again. I scrape it with a card then hit it with a brush to get the heavily rooted algae.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information