+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ATS on AIO Nuvo aquarium

ATS on AIO Nuvo aquarium

I have had a 16g Innovative Marine Nuvo aquarium set up for about two months. The tank is completely cycled. I set it up with Tampa Bay Saltwater live rock and live sand. Other than all the creatures that came on the TBS rock (minus the few I removed) and a CUC I added to the tank, I have not added anything else to the aquarium. I've been out of town alot in the last couple months so I haven't really had any time to devote to the aquarium. Anyhoo, I would like to add an ATS to the rear middle chamber of this aquarium. This aquarium is 24" long with dual overflows (one on each side of the tank). There are two smaller chambers after the overflow chambers for things such as a fuge, heater, skimmer, etc. I have the right chamber set up as a fuge and the left for my heater. These two chambers flow over into a larger middle chamber where the return is located. I was thinking that it may be possible to add an ATS in this middle chamber. If I could create some type of plexiglass contraption to divert the water flow from running straight down the sides of the two chambers into some type of trough with a split up the middle. And the split is where the mesh screen would be hanging from. The idea is that water would flow across the trough and then through the split and over the mesh screen. Lighting is no problem as the entire rear of the aquarium is clear so I could easily place a light behind the aquarium to shine on the screen. Do you all think this is possible? I keep the water level in the middle compartment a couple inches or so above the return so there is a good amount of space above the water level to house a screen. I have attached a pic of the back of a nuvo aquarium. I have the white version...not that it matters
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rear chambers.jpg‎
Views:	1559
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	2606   Click image for larger version

Name:	INN-0301-desc2.jpg‎
Views:	555
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	2605  

Administrator
    I think it would be better to put the screen where it overflows from the display. Then, cut the section lower where water spills to the center, so that the overflows will have farther to fall.

I understand what you are saying, but this aquarium is already up and running and it would be difficult to get back there to cut the sections away as the back section faces a wall. There is also a wall on both end of the aquarium. I have to get in to the back of the aquarium from the front. Also, if I cut the areas down where the section spills into the center, I will no longer have a place for my heater (which I don't want in the display) or my fuge. I realize the fuge might be redundant with an ATS but it couldn't hurt. I just thought an ATS where I can attach something to the top of the baffles flowing into the middle chamber that stretches across the middle chamber would be fairly easy to install and remove.

check out this one on nanoreef

I am thinking of building one similar to this one below, once I setup my 39 gal cadlight.
    It seem very easy to make and you order already cut to size from tapplastics.com

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...owtopic=299435

Quote Originally Posted by C-Horse View Post
    I am thinking of building one similar to this one below, once I setup my 39 gal cadlight.
    It seem very easy to make and you order already cut to size from tapplastics.com

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...owtopic=299435
    That is EXACTLY what I was envisioning except in my case I have two overflows so I can have water running into the tray from both ends. I'm just unsure how to go about securing the tray to the top of the baffles. Have any ideas on that one? I want something that could be easily removed as my return pump would be below the ATS. If I need to do maintenance on the return pump area, I need to be able to remove the whole ATS system easily.

I was thinking of attaching some plastics shelves or braces slightly below the top level of the baffles. The tray would then sit on top of the braces.

Hmmm....that would probably work. I have something similar to keep my glass cover on the actual aquarium since it is rimless.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information