+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 50 watt led eBay

50 watt led eBay

Anyone tried this fixture?
    50 watt led for $75 in a waterproof fixture.
    For $150 it should light up a 100 inch screen on both sides. Looks like it will pay for itself in less than two years in cfl bulb changes alone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_6466wt_928

Administrator
    Might have to be placed farther back to not burn the middle.

I have thought about getting some of these high wattage LED's like the 10 or 20 watt ones but have not pulled the trigger yet. I think 50 watts would be pretty intense but if you use a diffuser it might work OK if not placed very close as SM suggests.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    125G. 3 Regular Oscars/1 Jack Dempsey
    75G. 20+ Africans
    40G. Fish/Reef. Algae Scrubbers on ALL my SW
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.
    10G. SW Hospital/new fish quarantine/pod breeder tank
    6 stage RO/DI system 200 GPD.

My screens are 130 square inches. One is lit by a 23 watt cfl on each side for the reef tank.
    The other is lit by a 42 watt cfl on each side for the fish only tank. all cfl's have reflectors.
    Its been 2 days and each is still white. I was thinking that maybe I dont have enough light since a 130 inch screen needs 130 watts. Thats why I was looking at the 50watt per side led fixtures.

Or, is it normal to be still white after only 2 days? I have 6 42 watt cfl bulbs on order and will be replacing the 2 23 watt ones then, but I hate to still not have enough light.

FYI, one tank has hair algae and I have gotten the p down to 0.4 or 14 parts per billion.
    The other tank has no algae, but the p is really high (200 ppb)

Thansk for any suggestions as to why the screen is still white after 2 days. (or is that normal)

Bothe are single screens, lit on both sides, very rough with good water flow.

It might take a week or better to get any noticeable signs of algae.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    75G. 20+ Africans
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.

Quote Originally Posted by kerry View Post
    It might take a week or better to get any noticeable signs of algae.
    Do you think having a 42 watt cfl on each side of the 130 sq inch screen is enough light? (.62 watts per inch instead of 1.0 watts per inch)

It might grow some green in the middle but most likely it will be brown algae. Do you really feed 10+cubes a day? If you are only feeding a couple cubes a day cut the screens down to like 4.74x4.75", then for the other 42 watt make it about 6.5"x6.5".
    150G. Reef/Mix
    75G. 20+ Africans
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.

both tanks are large. One is 210 gallons, the other 280. The 210 has hair alge in the main tank, but the p is being reduced with gfo and h2o changes. the 280 looks fine, but the p is really high. as a result, i feel both will need a large screen to manage the nutrients so I want to add enough light to make each an effective filter. i am hoping a 42 watt cfl on each side is enough. if not i was willing to put a 50watt led floodlight on both sides. i dont want to put more than one bulb on each side because thats alot of bulbs every 3 months times two tanks.

im hoping the 42w cfl per side is enough for the 130 sq ft screens. id rather light these properly instead of sizing them down because of the large tanks and large nutrient loads

The screens are really based on feeding now. 3x4" per cube of food. New sizing link: http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...ing-guidelines . Large under fed screens are weak and dont do a good filtering job because the algae never gets thick and green.
    150G. Reef/Mix
    75G. 20+ Africans
    10G. SW Fish/Reef.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information