+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Scrubber

Administrator
    How are you wanting the rocks to look? Rock in the wild are completely covered with periphyton.

Banned
    Looks quite a good base for growth as the system matures. It will change over time. Sterile rocks are not good rocks in my book.

Thank you for your reply, SM and Garf.
    Understand there should, and will be, lots of things growing on the rocks and most of them required, to keep the water clean.
    I'm just worried that by the speed those brown patches grow, it will cover the enitre rock in short time.
    Even if they are beneficial, this particular species looks so ugly. Imagine the entire rock in this brown stuff, what is the difference than it is covered with brown/green hair algae, which we're trying to eliminate?

I helped unpack couple shipments for my LFS, those live rocks all covered with numerous things, but I can hardly find this ugly brown stuff on them.
    Just wanted to see what they are and if there is anyway, or the scrubber can remove them.

Banned
    Yes indeed it may spread over the entire rock, but won't last. If you have seeded your tank with live rock, this bland rock soon becomes populated by organisms from the live rock and in 6 months time you won't be able to tell the difference between this rock and premium live rock. Just keep your tank healthy.

Cool !! As long as there is a time frame that they will disappear, I'm more than happy!
    Not quite understand what you mean by "seeded the tank with live rock".... I have about 80 lbs of live rock in the DT, the pic I show above is just one of them.
    Not all of the rocks started to see this brown stuff, but...hmm....about 20%. Some looks pretty healthy, with sponges, coralline algae, and some other organisms on it.
    I'll swarp some older rocks that I don't see fit and replace with new ones, slowly.
    Thanks again for your reply.

Banned
    Time, that's all it will take.

Yes sir!
    Esp when my new screen is still very thin, and not quite green. Haha, but I'm so excited. My old screen never see green.
    Let you know how it looks next week. Hope will be better as time goes by.
    BTW, screen size is 11 X 5 and I feed 2 frozen cubes (those commercial regular size, so slightly larger than 1cm X 1cm) per day, now lights on 18 hours. Anything I need to change?

Banned
    If your putting enough light onto it, it will get green, trust me?

Quote Originally Posted by Garf View Post
    If your putting enough light onto it, it will get green, trust me?
    Haha, you bet!
    Show you the growth next week and please tell me if I needed more lights.

New dry rock always ( I have started5 tanks with it) goes from white to brown to green to purple/blue/ pink or red. The reason you are seeing this is your rock is not smothered by the gha anymore. This is a good thing. You will see

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information